1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New here, Looking for a Teriyaki recipe

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by OldFartFarmer, Dec 10, 2018.

1. I just got a Dynaglow offset smoker, and have prague#1
    im looking to make 5 pounds batches of jerky,
    Please excuse me, ive read and re-read a lot of your posts before signing up here,
    and the more i read the more confused i get, Im disabled (kinda slow,,short-buss slow)
    but i get along fine,
    would anyone share a Teriyaki recipe including the prague#1 googling just frustrates me as
    you don't find much with folks using the prague #1 or charcoal smoking
    what are your temp times, do i start low and go high or high and go low?

looking for step by step, instructions, color crayons included,,for this old fart,
    thank you very much for your time, and sharing,
    cheers
    John
    heres my smoker getting broke in 28 deg here today,,, IMG_1110.JPG

2. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the forum glad to have you on board. Look under jerky in the forum list and keep scrolling down and you will see some teriyaki recipes or go to search and ask for teriyaki recipes.

Warren

3. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

• 1 eye of round trimmed of fat and silver skin and cut into strips. I prefer them to be no thicker than 1/4 inch and no wider than 1 inch.
    • 1 bottle of Soy Vey Veri Teriyaki sauce
    • 1/4 tsp cure #1 per pound of meat.

1. After the meat is trimmed of fat cut it in 1/2 and weight the meat.
    2. Cut the meats into strips
    3. Strain the Veri Terayaki into a non-reactive bowl large enough to hold it and the meats + some work space
    4. Now measure out the cure to go with the weight of the meat.
    5. Mix cure and marinade together with a whisk until thoroughly incorporated
    6. Take a handful of meat strips and drop them in the liquid and mix them around until thoroughly coated in marinade. Repeat until all meat strips are mixed into the marinade.
    7. Make sure meats are covered with marinade (you might have to put a plate on top ot keep the meats submerged and place in refrigerator
    8. Let marinate 12 to 24 hours then dehydrate mixing the meats at least once 1/2 way through the marinating process
    9. After the meats are done curing/marinating dump them into a colander over the sink to drain off excess liquid. You can also pat the meats with paper towels to help get rid of excess liquid.
    10. Load the smoker/dehydrator with the meats and heat them at 160 degrees for 2 hours
    11. After 2 hours back the heat down to 120/130 degrees and let it there until the meat are dried to you satisfaction. 8 to 12 hours depending on the appliance, amount of air flow and how wet the meats were when you loaded them.
    12. Once 80 or 90% of the meats are dried to your liking pull from the appliance and let them get to room temperature. Then put them in a paper bag and fold the top over for 24 hours to let the meats equalize. Since all the meats will not be uniform some will over dry other will be a bit moist. Resting in a bag solves this and makes them all the same.
    Notes:

1. If you have a dehydrator IMO it'll produce superior product over a smoker. It also does it faster and more controlled.
    2. One eye of round will be around 5 to 6 pounds once trimmed. This will yield about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds of jerky.

ksblazer and smokesontuesday like this.
  4. smokesontuesday

smokesontuesday Smoking Fanatic

There are all kinds of Teriyaki recipes here and the few I've tried were tasty. There's a but coming...

But just like Holly suggested it's hard to beat Soy Vey Veri Teriyaki. I've just quit messing with trying to reinvent the wheel for teriyaki. It's great sauce. It's cheap. It turns out a great product. My office demolished 2.5 pounds of teriyaki jerky today.

I do disagree with Holly about the smoker though. My process is kind of a hybrid. I put my teriyaki jerky in the smoker at 130 degrees for an hour with no smoke going to form a pellicle then turn them up to 160 with cherry smoke for a couple hours. At that point I pull it and into the dehydrator it goes till it's done.

5. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I use this one, John:
    https://www.jerkyholic.com/kikkoman-teriyaki-jerky/
    Simple, straight forward, and easily changed if you want to pepper it up.
    I use this pretty exclusively now, but with Pork Loin as my meat.
    I'm supposed to stay away from red meat, so I do a lot of Pork, Salmon, and Chicken.
    About the only additive I use is some added red pepper like is used for Pizza. Gives it the "afterburn" I like in the throat after the swallow. My 5 year old Grand Daughter likes it, but wants a glass of water within reach. LOL!

6. potsieko

potsieko Fire Starter

Alegro makes a teriyaki marinade that is pretty good. Use 1 bottle and add one bottle of water to your meat and cure. Marinate for 24-48 hours, pat dry, and smoke.