New guy here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

upstatesmoke

Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Rochester, NY
Hello everybody, 

I am an avid BBQ eater and now cooker. After spending a month in Texas - I was hooked. 

I am up here in Rochester, NY where the good bbq is hard to come by. All of the chains up here are good, but just nowhere near the Texas Q that I've had. 

Been eating BBQ in NC, SC, TX, NY, PA, CA, and NJ. 

So for fathers day I picked up my father an MES 30 as this is our first go around with true smoking. Let me tell you..... The brisket that I smoked yesterday was out of this world. Perfectly juicy, falling apart tender, and a good smoke kiss, not overpowering. 

As this was my first time smoking any meat, I did a lot of research on the do's and don'ts. 

I'll tell you a little about what I did:

> Obtained 12lb Beef Brisket

> Trimmed the bad boy down to a nice lean side and about 1/8 - 1/4 inch fat on the other

> I made a rub with fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt, a little cayenne pepper, and a little garlic powder

> I rubbed down the meat generously with the rub

> I injected a full glass (size of a bar mug) of beef broth into both pieces (I cut it in half to fit the smoker)

> I let this sit wrapped up overnight for about 12 hours

> I took it out about 45 minutes prior to placing into the smoker while I prepared the smoker (Hickory chips)

> I put the brisket in the smoker - middle racks - fat side up

> I kept the temps around 200 for the first 5 hours 

> I upped the temps to 220 when I hit the stall which lasted 3 hours at 154

> I left the temps up higher because it seemed to get much better TBS with the chip tray removed

> During the smoke I kept removing the chip tray to allow more ventilation and then back in when it got heated up

> When the internal temp hit 162 I wrapped both in heavy duty tin foil nice and tight with a little bit of home made mop to put on it - not too much but just a little bit

> I put it back in the smoker until IT hit 200 then I pulled it - wrapped in a beach towel - and into the cooler for only an hour because I was chomping at the bit

The brisket came out incredible. I wanted to some what replicate or get close to the flavor I had in Texas with places like Salt Lick, Rudy's, Kreuz, etc.. I'll tell ya, it had that flavor - a nice smoke kiss, not an overpowering bitter flavor. It came out fall apart but held up enough to cut slices, and was dripping juices. It had quite a nice bark that held together real well. 

All in all it took me 13 hours from placing into the smoker to slicing my first piece.

I do like that little smoker - I think I have the new model (bought it on Saturday) because I read people having issues with keeping them going but this was just perfection. 

Any tips anybody can give me to improve my methods? I added some pics because I know any forum always like pictures!

Thanks to all and I'm glad to be here!

- Brandon

Looks awesome!  Don't forget that Texas mesquite for smoking!  

When I used to live there (DFW area), many grocery stores had a big trailer-sized smoker near the entrance.  You bought your brisket, gave it to the guys working the smoker, and they would tell you what time to come back. They cooked using mesquite wood and only used salt/pepper for seasoning...I have come close to approximating what they did, but they were still the very best at brisket.

welcome1.gif

Glad to have you with us!

Al

I've heared misquite gives a little bit of bitter flavor... Would you recommend mixing misquite & hickory? If so, approx. what mixture?

I'm game to try just about anything after how well this project turned out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky