New guy from PA with first smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freeboro

Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
NW Pennsylvania
Well, I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Adam, I'm new to the forums and new to the world of smoking!  I stumbled on a GOSM (as I believe you all call it) the other day that a neighbors family was looking to get rid of (my neighbor had passed away recently).  It was a good deal, so I picked it up, now I need to learn how to smoke meat!  haha  I have the 16" x 34" model, it looks to have only been used a handful of times at most.

I do a lot of hunting and have high hopes of having plenty of whitetail and elk meat to smoke this year, as well as some poultry and pork.  I LOVE pulled pork, so being able to make it myself is really appealing to me!

I have next to no experience with smoking meat, the only thing I've ever done is some pork ribs on the grill over a water pan filled with some Webers hickory wood chips and I've only done that a handful of times.

I'm looking forward to talking with everyone and learning how to do this.

I leave on an elk hunt tomorrow for the next week (gotta fill that freezer to try out the smoker right?!) so don't be offended if I don't respond for a few days!

Adam

Hello Adam and welcome to SMF.  Be sure to sign up for Jeff's 5 day course here on line. Also you can look at the smokers section and I am sure you will find valuable information on your smoker

Godd hunting  

Adam welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Congrats on the GOSM they are great smokers. I agree on signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse it's free and would be a great start with lots of needed info. You'll also find lots of good info and some great recipes here. Have fun and if you have questions just ask and somebody will try to answer them for you

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Adam to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Adam, Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome, there are plenty of people here willing to help with any questions you. I've always been impressed by how willing they are to share their knowledge.

Welcome to SMF!!!

Read up on smoking elk b4 you start. Got to be careful to keep it from getting dry.

Welcome Adam! You came to the right place to learn as there are some of the best in the bidness right here on SMF! Lurk around and you'll probably find what you are looking for, if not, just ask!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to a place of never ending help.  Everyone is great.  I will be different and tell you, I did Jeff's course, and I feel it put me on the fast track to smoking.  Smoking and deep fat frying (turkeys) are my two greatest loves.  Well almost my GRANDSON is number one.  Best of luck and cant wait to see the Elk you smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky