New GOSM woohoo!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2006
Casa Grande, AZ
OK..I knew I was getting this for Christmas and it was delivered by the nice man in the brown suit.

The box said "From box to backyard in minutes".. HORSE POOP! It took me a good hour or so.. :) It has a small dent on the sides of the door from what looks like a binding strap was tightened too tight for shipping. Some of the paint is chipped off too. But, this doesn't affect the way it's supposed to work so I'll just keep it like it is. Gives it character.

So, now I'm ready to Rock-N-Roll.. Or is it Soak-N-Smoke?

The instructions said to season it by filling the water pan and with smoke at 125' for about an hour to settle the paint. Is this what you guys did?

I won't be smoking until about mid January though. I have to go care for my elderly mother who is having surgery the day after Christmas.. :(

I'll be sure to take pics of my virgin voyage with this thing of beauty. Take care all and have a Merry Christmas or Happy "whatever you celebrate" ..

First off, Welcome, you will find lots of friends and good advice here.
I would make sure you season that baby for at LEAST an hour, if not longer, and it wouldn't hurt to crank the temp up a bit either. The idea is to get rid of all the "nasty" coatings that the manufacturer puts all over the parts ....

Also, regards to your mother, hope everything goes well with the surgery

I seasond my for 2 pans of chips at 200*.Hope all goes well with your mother.Sure it wont fit in the trunk?

I have a pick-up truck, so it would fit fine in the back. But, it'll be just me and mom and she's a *GASP* .....vegetarian! :( She has 5 dogs though and I KNOW they would help me out with eating leftovers.. :P

Congrats on receiving your new baby!

I'm with the other two posts above. I didn't think 125* for an hour was gonna do the trick myself. I ran mine about 250* for about three hours and give it another hit with the oil and kicked it up to full steam ahead for an hour. I wanted to be rid of everything for sure and it obviously wasn't going to hurt anything.

3beagle78, TulsaJeff has the GOSM's for sale in the new Smoking Meat Store. Here is a link:

Smoking Meat Store Smokers

www.Walmart.com

They had them and when I went to buy a few days later, they were sold out. I looked again the next night and low and behold, a fresh shipment. That's when I snagged one. I looked a couple days ago and they're out of stock again.

Congrats on the new GOSM! When mine arrived from Home Depot I took the time to assemble it by the book. Man! They sure know how to idiot proof a process! They should start a political party, can the two big ones and take charge!

Anyway, when I seasoned, after wiping down the interior with warm soapy water, rinsing well and then allowing to dry and lightly coating with vegetable oil I started at a low temp with a full water pan and a whole bunch of cherry chunks (You paying attention, Scott in KC?) Gradually I brought the temp up to 250 with the thin blue just happily billowing forth. I maintained 250 for one hour and then shut her down and let her cool.

After cooling I once again wiped down the interior, cleaned the racks again and serviced the water and wood pans. Then went for the baker's pan mod on the wood pan.

Once again, good luck and happy smokin!

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky