New favorite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Have seen them for years, but never tried them.

Dietz and Watson wieners.

Uncured, natural casing.

My absolute new go-to wieners.

Very, very tasty.

Great texture.

Will definitely keep a supply on hand.

coney-island-beef-franks.png
I am a Nathan's man, myself (along with their pickles, especially of the horseradish variety) I do like Red Hot Chicago dogs but those are very hard for me to find, unlike Old Vienna

Attachments

• Hot Dog Recipe (2).pdf
    67.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Nathans Copycat Hot Dog Recipe (1).pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
  • These Kosher Hot Dogs are Made From Beef and Without Dairy.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Dakota's Best Hot Dog Recipe from the German Immigrant Tradition.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 11
I need to try them, Dietz and Watsons pepperoni’s very very good, and pretty cheap.

as someone who makes pizza and pasta from scratch. I dunno about hot dogs. Seems like a decent amount of work and I can’t see how I could out do the Boars Head natural casing ones I get from Ralph’s. And if my home made ones did somehow come out better than the Boars Head I don’t think it would be smart for me to try making them. As it is I eat too many dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill ace 350
Dietz and Watson are very good.
Sahlen's Natural Casing is the best I can get where I live. Nathan's Skinless are the only variety of theirs.
For me, the Best 1/4 lb Natural Casing Hot Dogs, are only available in NJ, the Metro NY area and some of Eastern PA. SCHICKHAUS GRIDDLE FRANKS! A firmer Dog with an audible Snap from the casing browned just until it begins to split. Most frequently they are Griddle fried in Bacon Grease, however, they are also great off Charcoal and some places even Deep Fry for extra crispy. Schickhaus makes the tastiest Boloney and Liverwurst I've had...JJ

Reactions: bill ace 350
Do not let the misnomer of "uncured" or "no added nitrates" fool you. Look at the ingredient list
and you will see celery powder which has just as much if not more nitrates then "cured" products.
FDA lets this little white lie pass but may be changing soon.
Not saying that "uncured" products are bad just saying they still are "cured"

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Saw a kid carrying on, screaming about the Cereal he wanted. You could hear him 2 aisles away. The Mother is frustrated and embarrassed but is quietly telling young Cody , that he should not act so rudely. The screaming continued.
50 years ago, that would NOT happen and in the rare instance it did, Your Mom gave you one chance to stop acting up, then gave you something REAL to Cry about!
Now, some clown will call the Police or Child Services for your " Yelling " at a kid!...JJ

Do not let the misnomer of "uncured" or "no added nitrates" fool you. Look at the ingredient list
and you will see celery powder which has just as much if not more nitrates then "cured" products.
I wasn't fooled.

Never heard of Dietz and Watson.
What makes their products special?
The worst part is the use of naturally occurring nitrAtes versus just using the appropriate nitrItes for an emulsified product is wrong. Hey, anything to mislead the granola heads?.

Never heard of Dietz and Watson.
What makes their products special?
The worst part is the use of naturally occurring nitrAtes versus just using the appropriate nitrItes for an emulsified product is wrong. Hey, anything to mislead the granola heads?.

Special?

They taste great!

Reactions: chopsaw
Haven’t seen them around here, but will look a little closer next trip to the grocery.
The store I shop at has them in their own display in the Deli area and by the meats . Not mixed in with anything else . I would bet Publix has them . The website has a search by zip code option .

Went to the Commissary at lunch.

Next on the plate will be Dietz and Watson Knockwurst.

Probably make them this weekend with sauerkraut and potato salad.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice choice . I've had the wieners , white brats and beef smoked sausage . All really good .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky