New electric smoker from Santa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jhartnc

Original poster
Dec 13, 2015
Just getting started in smoking. I have a friend who had a custom built, towable smoker that he makes some of the best pulled pork my wife and I have ever eaten. I guess this was her hint that I needed to get started at home and not wait for an invitation from our friend! I'm going to reading up for a while and get started soon.

Welcome to SMF!

1st  do some research on the different types of smokers that fit your budget ..

Then decide how much and if you have the time to sit with the smoker.

Your friend has a towable that probably uses wood splits for heat and smoke.

he probably has to add a split or 2 every hour or so.

that means he is up watching his smoker for around 12 - 16 hrs to cook butts.

I have the Master built 40" electric smoker with the amazn amnps pellet tray.

i can set my temps get the pellet tray lit and in the smoker and put the butts on at 5 pm adjust my temps before bed and got to sleep . wake up in the am and the butts are done around 7 am.- 9 am.

I wont lie to you and tell you that the butts cooked in the electric are as good as those cooked over all wood.

But i have never had a complaint about lack of smoke or taste .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky