New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Built the dehumidifier return vent header today. I nested a half round piece of 3" thin wall PVC sewer pipe inside of a half round piece of 4" pvc sewer pipe.
IMG_20220613_165613.jpg

I used the 3" doughnut that I cut out of the coleman water jug. the foam was 1/2" thick so I made some spacers to keep the 3" pipe spaced properly. I drilled 4 holes and installed 4 small bolts to secure the pvc in place while the foam expands.
IMG_20220613_095911.jpg

Made a jig out of some scrap 3/8" plywood and a 2x4 to keep the edge of the 4" half round from bowing out or the 3" half round from bowing in. Also used window and door foam which has low expansion and less pressure.
IMG_20220613_165626.jpg

IMG_20220613_165629.jpg

IMG_20220613_165633.jpg

Drying now...just the right amount of foam...LOL!
IMG_20220613_172059.jpg

IMG_20220613_172102.jpg

Will cut/trim it down on my Uncle's table saw sometime this week... Need it to be 1 3/8" tall for low profile against the ceiling of the chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
I will use those same 4 holes to mount the header to a jig to rip it on the table saw. Then will drill those holes out to 1/4" for 1/4" bolts to mount the header to the ceiling using rivet nuts. Will drill the vent holes on the back of the header....

Got the header cut down at my uncle's today...
IMG_20220614_182824.jpg

IMG_20220614_182833.jpg

Saw blade was not tall enough to cut one pass thru, had to flip it and make 2 cuts, but it worked well. Sawed the ends with a hand saw. I cleaned up any high spots with sand paper.
IMG_20220614_193104.jpg

Drilled the air flow holes, 4 per side and stepped up the hole size in 1/16" increments from 5/16" to 1/2"...
IMG_20220614_195651.jpg

IMG_20220614_195659.jpg

Need to find some 3/4" X 3/16" thick PVC foam weather stripping to seal it up against the ceiling for final install.

Last edited:
It's looking good very nice work

Thanks piney! I just rechecked my notes on the air hole sizes....need to go back and redrill them starting with 7/16", then 1/2", 9/16, and 5/8"....I went off memory trying to beat sunset rather than stop and try to find the note pad I wrote it down on. That will give me the correct volume without choking back airflow thru the fans.

Finally! The last major design project is finished! I had to figure out a way to mount the TEM chillers to the homemade mounting bracket. I had to redesign it 6 times, but the final version has many benefits...
1 The nut is on top on the outside, so it is much easier to install than the original design where the nut was underneath the bracket between the bracket and the clamp bar on the fluid block chiller side. I replaced the nut there with a small 0.35" piece of 3/16" dia. rigid tubing.
2. the tubing protects the bolt threads and will keep them clean when I insulate the chiller block with expanding foam.
3. When the TEM chip goes out, which it will eventually, and needs replacing, with the nut on top on the outside replacement is a cinch!
4. Since I am using rigid tubing as a spacer, there is no chance of over tightening and damaging the TEM chip.
5. Also, the tubing will allow for perfect alignment up or down since it will compress slightly.

Here's the pics...(middle fan removed for install)
IMG_20220618_144129.jpg

IMG_20220618_144139.jpg

IMG_20220618_144202.jpg

The underside...(TEM chiller block will be on bottom; bracket is upside down for the picture)
IMG_20220618_144446.jpg

IMG_20220618_144516.jpg

Last edited:
Note- The 4 brackets are still together in one piece. I have yet to go to the boat shop and cut the brackets out on the band saw. That is the last thing I need to do before final install and I am FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

Very nice work. I can't wait to see it in operation. What a fantastic project!

JC :emoji_cat:
I am anxious to finish it. That will be high on the list next week when I return from the fishing camp. Hope to have it up fully operational with product hanging in it by mid-July. Not much left to do on it except hook everything up for final install and a good wipe down on the inside.

It is looking good how it the fishing going????

AH ok I thought you were going for a week my mistake

This is a good size chamber. I'm in the process of building a small 9’x 6’x 2′ chamber. I also have a chest freezer with a thermometer in it that I'm using as a humidifier. I have it set to 48 degrees and it will come up to 62 degrees or so most of the time. I put the freezer on the floor of the room and the chamber on the bench and it works great. So far I've done about 3 pounds of pork and it worked great. I'm going to do about 10 more pounds this weekend.

Have some pics of your set-up?

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: indaswamp
I am so close to finishing my chamber. Need to insulate the intake and return hoses for the dehumidifier, fill the reservoir with water, and hook up the temperature controller and I'm done! then I can do a full system test and then hang some meat!

Looking for lighting options for the inside of the chamber. Any ideas?

• Love
I am so close to finishing my chamber. Need to insulate the intake and return hoses for the dehumidifier, fill the reservoir with water, and hook up the temperature controller and I'm done! then I can do a full system test and then hang some meat!

Looking for lighting options for the inside of the chamber. Any ideas?

I would use LED lighting. Get a well diffused LED light and run it off the 12 VDC supply.

My $0.02...

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky