New charcoal basket, galvinized mesh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I remember correctly, isn't this for a UDS? If so, you don't need a welding class to make it for you. Just get a charcoal grate from a small Weber. They are 13.5" in diameter. You can buy them at Home Depot. Get a 44" x 8" piece of #9 3/4" expanded metal and wrap it around a propane tank to form a circle. Use a couple of C clamps to hold it in place and wire the ends together. Then wire it to the charcoal grate. Get some 3-1/2" x 1/2" bolts and double nuts and put them on the grate for legs. Then make a handle out of bailing wire or you can use 1/4" rod. The Tech class should be able to cut a piece of expando for you and also the rod. Then you can make this with no welding and the only tools you'll need are a wire cutter, pliers, and a couple of wrenches.

Here's a closeup of the wire that holds the expando.

Just don't use galvanized bolts for the legs.
biggrin.gif

If you want a square basket, do this

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=73745

but make it taller and add the bolts for legs and a handle.

Dave

Thanks DD, I was going to go this route, and still may, but the school owed me so I thought it might be cool to have a really heavy well built basket. The wind blows here so it will make a great ancor. Thanks for the advice.

A galvanized surface can be sandblasted off. I know the situation is taken care of for this thread but it could give another option to someone that runs across it in the future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky