New Char Sui sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

I made char sui before but I was using NOH powder. It was mostly dye and little taste. This time I got some of this any thoughts. It was thick like honey so I added some soy sauce, oyster sauce and a little yoshidas. it's going on diced chicken.

Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Chinese Barbecue Sauce​

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
TOTALLY agree with you on the NOH: unimpressed. LKK stuff is typically good but have not used that stuff myself. Local asian market had some Koon Chun BBQ and picked it up but have not used it yet. It was like $4/jar. Ingredients list looks spot on so doubt I will ever make it scratch. I will likely thin it down a little with some mirin or rice wine for marinading and add some honey/maltose for the glaze.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky