• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Build starts now

dwaineb

Joined Feb 26, 2019
Good day fellow smokers. i have been reading and researching this build for a little over a year now. I have read everything and looked at every picture at least 4 times. Used Daves calcutor so many times I have lost count!!! I have been sellign bbq for around 3 years and its time to step up my game. So i picked up a 36X60 tank if my math is correct roughly 265 gallons 61072 cubic inches. Doing a square FB 25X24X36 which says I should have roughly 317 square inches at the opening. If my math is coorect that means my half moon should be 11" high at roughly 34" acros the tank. If i get this correct i also need the same 317square in at the other end of the tank. Where i am stuck right now is that is roughly a 9" wide opening and since my tank is flat on that end not round like so many i will have a big open hole that i cannot cook over. Do i just move my racks inward or how can i maximize every inch inside the tank? With out pictures i know it may be hard t o envision but i am drawing in CAD right now to get everything water jet before my company closes its doors. Once i get the CAD done I will post pictures of my plan. I will be adding a warming cabinet above the FB and so to accomadte the stack plenum i will build it off the back side of the smoker.
To throw another angle on this i have 2 tanks same exact size. The second tank will be a pellet smoker using 2 augers and should hold roughly 150 lbs of pellets. That will be built after this one. Still alotto fix since i dont like the designs of modern pellet smookers. Cleaning is a pain and emptying the ash can SuckS!
Heres my tank im beginning with
tank.jpg

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
You could cut your opening in the end of your cook chamber and weld a box or make a hyperbolic cover to go over that opening.

Just my $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
What I mean to say is that you could add the reflow area to the end of your cook chamber by adding a box or half sphere.

That way you have the full area of the original tank as a cook area. It would be a lot of work.

I would probably just sacrifice the 12" needed to make the reflow plate.

dwaineb

Joined Feb 26, 2019
Ok sorry I understand now and yes I will just leave it open and maybe take a scrap peice if steel to angle it further up the tank before it fills the CC like a baffle almost. I mean im not loosing that much room when i think about it.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
You may even be able to hang sausages in that area as long as it isn't too congested....

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Ohhh that’s a great idea!!!
Glad to be of assistance. :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses: Wishing you good results on your build. I am in the process of getting a 250 gallon propane tank revers flow smoker built.

I have 2 tanks, I have the metal for the firebox drawn up and quoted. Now, I just need time to get in the shop and start cutting and welding.

This will be my first time doing any kind of welding work so it should be interesting. I have an experienced welder helping me out so I am sure I will be fine.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your build.

JC :emoji_cat:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.