New Build starts now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwaineb

Original poster
Feb 26, 2019
Good day fellow smokers. i have been reading and researching this build for a little over a year now. I have read everything and looked at every picture at least 4 times. Used Daves calcutor so many times I have lost count!!! I have been sellign bbq for around 3 years and its time to step up my game. So i picked up a 36X60 tank if my math is correct roughly 265 gallons 61072 cubic inches. Doing a square FB 25X24X36 which says I should have roughly 317 square inches at the opening. If my math is coorect that means my half moon should be 11" high at roughly 34" acros the tank. If i get this correct i also need the same 317square in at the other end of the tank. Where i am stuck right now is that is roughly a 9" wide opening and since my tank is flat on that end not round like so many i will have a big open hole that i cannot cook over. Do i just move my racks inward or how can i maximize every inch inside the tank? With out pictures i know it may be hard t o envision but i am drawing in CAD right now to get everything water jet before my company closes its doors. Once i get the CAD done I will post pictures of my plan. I will be adding a warming cabinet above the FB and so to accomadte the stack plenum i will build it off the back side of the smoker.
To throw another angle on this i have 2 tanks same exact size. The second tank will be a pellet smoker using 2 augers and should hold roughly 150 lbs of pellets. That will be built after this one. Still alotto fix since i dont like the designs of modern pellet smookers. Cleaning is a pain and emptying the ash can SuckS!
Heres my tank im beginning with
tank.jpg

You could cut your opening in the end of your cook chamber and weld a box or make a hyperbolic cover to go over that opening.

Just my $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

You could cut your opening in the end of your cook chamber and weld a box or make a hyperbolic cover to go over that opening.

Just my $0.02

I don’t think I understand what you are saying sorry

What I mean to say is that you could add the reflow area to the end of your cook chamber by adding a box or half sphere.

That way you have the full area of the original tank as a cook area. It would be a lot of work.

I would probably just sacrifice the 12" needed to make the reflow plate.

Reactions: dwaineb
Ok sorry I understand now and yes I will just leave it open and maybe take a scrap peice if steel to angle it further up the tank before it fills the CC like a baffle almost. I mean im not loosing that much room when i think about it.

Reactions: JC in GB
You may even be able to hang sausages in that area as long as it isn't too congested....

Ohhh that’s a great idea!!!

Glad to be of assistance. :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses: Wishing you good results on your build. I am in the process of getting a 250 gallon propane tank revers flow smoker built.

I have 2 tanks, I have the metal for the firebox drawn up and quoted. Now, I just need time to get in the shop and start cutting and welding.

This will be my first time doing any kind of welding work so it should be interesting. I have an experienced welder helping me out so I am sure I will be fine.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky