New brisket attempt tonight.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Must be a brisket weekend. seen quite a few today, will be watching this one too!

So decided this time around to use the crutch.  Just put the brisket in some foil.  I had a question.  On my ribs using the 321 method, you throw em back in that last hour without foil to firm up the exterior.  Is this something that would benefit a brisket?  Throwing it in without foil for the last hour to get a little exterior firmness?  

Actually its a good question and there is....... the rest. If you'll let it rest 30 mins to 2 hours after coming out of the ice chest, it will help your brisket firm up and cut so much easier. Hot tender brisket can be the pits to slice, and I don't care what they say, if you have pulled brisket you over cooked it! Not that its not good mind you.

I know some folks that throw there's in the reefer to cool 'em down before attempting to slice.

Besides nobody really wants food that is soo hot you can't enjoy the taste, but we will all grab it as soon as its put out, so like a buddy of mine always said, leave it to sit in the kitchen and do your guests a favor.

Last edited:
So when the brisket hit 185 wrapped, I decided to unwrap and throw it back in to let the bark form. Wasn't ready with the toothpick yet. Then I noticed the temp of the brisket dip to 178....possibly had the probe in the wrong spot when wrapped. Out of fear of not making my eating time, I cranked the smoker to 250 within 2 hours the bark was nice and toothpick test passing. Overall was the juiciest brisket I've ever made.

Also let it sit in the cooler for an hour while the point was chopped and smoked for burnt ends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky