New batch of andouille.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
Same recipe as last time, only a little less garlic and coarse ground half of the meat.

Cut the rest into 1/4 inch chunks. Mixed and stuffed.

Should have way good interior definition.

bc05c2ac_001.jpg

Looking and smelling good.

Reactions: meateater
icon_cool.gif

Now that sausage is looking really good but I see a problem with it thou. There's not enough. 

After a cold shower and some fan time this is really making me happy.

Just exactly as I want. Not bad getting there on the second try.

3dc331f2_006.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I see some jambalaya or red beans and rice in the near future.

looks great!  care to share the recipe?  just got my new smoker rolling and would love to try some andouille....

Fpnmf, that is some goooood looking andouille. I have some in the freezer I ordered from LaPlace, LA and your's looks every bit as good. Might be something I may have to learn to do. It costs an arm and leg to get the andouille shipped here from Louisiana. Thanks for sharing. They coarse grind theirs as well. I really like that texture.

Fpnmf, that is some goooood looking andouille. I have some in the freezer I ordered from LaPlace, LA and your's looks every bit as good. Might be something I may have to learn to do. It costs an arm and leg to get the andouille shipped here from Louisiana. Thanks for sharing. They coarse grind theirs as well. I really like that texture.
Thank you.

I have been fairly particular about andouille, tasso and chaurice sausages for a long time. I decided to make it a while ago as the good stuff is hard to find here in Atlanta.

I spent some extra time with this latest andouille,going thru the meat and cutting out as much of the connective tissue and junk as I could.

Grinding half coarse and the other half cut into 1/4 inch pieces did the trick.

It paid off big. I am very happy with this.

I am enjoying this too. If you want some help I would be happy to share how I got started.

Craig

Craig, I appreciate the offer. It may summer time before I have the time to learn how. I'll also need to invest in some equipment to do the job. When that happens I'll take you up on your offer Thanks.

Last edited:
Craig,

There is one question that I have for you. The andouille that I get from LaPlace, LA (Jacob's House) is about 2 in. in diameter and the casing is more of a paper type casing. So before using the sausage you have to peel that off and then slice it up. Are you familiar with that type of casing and what is it actually? That's the only place that I've seen that type of casing used.

Craig,

There is one question that I have for you. The andouille that I get from LaPlace, LA (Jacob's House) is about 2 in. in diameter and the casing is more of a paper type casing. So before using the sausage you have to peel that off and then slice it up. Are you familiar with that type of casing and what is it actually? That's the only place that I've seen that type of casing used.
I have never seen that type of casing before. I have always seen it in hog casings and it is what I use.

Is that my piece on the rack............... Oh I'm sorry .. thats yours

very nice

Thanks fellas!

Next week will be tasso.

Great looking andouille for sure and nice job on the tutorial. I will be doing another batch here real soon and I think I will try this recipe.

Coacher - I beleive the andouille you are getting is a dry cured andouille and the casing reflects the drying. Since I am not there it see it I can not make a blanket statement but that is what it sounds like. That process is a salume I beleive. That is a  project I want to explore when I finally retire for good .    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky