new air tank for reverse flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE PROS AND CONS OF USING A ROUND OR HALF MOON SHAPE  FO FB TO CC

If you cut a half moon, the diameter of the CC for the opening..... That will give you the most effective use of space..... allowing for a lower RF plate and more room for food racks....

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CUT HALF MOON IN MY 110 GAL TANK.HOW TO MEASURE WHERE TO MAKE CUT

What are the dimensions of the tank....... OD diameter... wall thickness.... distance between welds..... total length...

and small case letters are easier to read..... thanks...... Dave

my tank is 110 gal

od ..24

ol ...62

between welds..46

shth  .187

hdth    .187

Last edited:
Looking forward to building my first reverse. Flow smoker.

been working on my calculations and this is what I have. hope I'm on the right track.

110 gal tank

cc vol                         25410

firebox                        8470 at  103.9%

22x20x20

inlets rd   2                 26.40

chim                            4 in

ht                                  35.3

fb to cc                      70.40

sediment height        5.10

radius                        12

length                       23.01

Looks like you used Feldon's for the FB/CC opening.... You could have trouble with an overheating FB and a cool CC.....

if I go 1.5 x fb to cc ...1020

change sed height to    9

chard      23.23

would this solve problem.

lets try this again:

cc                         25410

fb vol                    8470    at  21x21x21   109%

fb air inlets           2541  ( 2)  5 x3 in    27.78

fb to cc              101.64  cubic in

area under cook plate101.64 cubic in

radius 12

sed hgt

thanks dave for your feed back.im  obviously not calculating volume of

this  tank right.is there a link that shows how this is done.this may be my first build but it wont be my last.thanks

110 gallon tank is 25,410 cu. in. .... 110x231=25410....231 cu. in. in a gallon...

Now use my calculator......

25410 x 1/3 = 8470 cu. in. FB size or larger... larger recommended...

25410 x 0.017 = 432 cu. in. stack volume...... / 0.7854 x 16 (Dia. stack squared 4x4=16) = 34" tall stack x 4" I.D.

25410 x 0.001 = 25.4 sq. in. area FB air inlets... I would use 6 sq. in. (3x2) across from the FB/CC opening for the heat mover... and 20 sq. in. (3x2.25) at or below the Fire Grate for adjusting the heat output of the fire.... or something similar.....

25410 x 0.004 = 101.64 sq. in. FB/CC opening and area under the RF Plate....

Click on this calculator to open.....

http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm

... click on pic to enlarge ...

chord AB is the width of the RF plate
segment area (104 sq. in.) is the area of the FB/CC opening AND the area under the RF plate if it is 21.5" wide and 6.75" above the bottom of the CC... matching up to the opening on the FB...
Leave at least 7" at the end of the RF plate for the heat/smoke to make a 180 degree turn and head back to the exhaust stack.....

I think that covers everything.... let me know.... I'll be around..... Dave

Smoker parts have many configurations.... here are a couple.... click on any pic to enlarge ...

Soap and hot water.... maybe a car wash... then when you get it all assembled, run it up to 5-600 deg... without meat in it of course.... that will finish cooking off the oils from the mercaptan scent they put in it.... or have it sand blasted...

Wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder works quite well also, then a good wash out, followed by a good high temp burn as Dave suggested...

Why do people use grinders to clean out the inside.

Grinders won't get the oils out of the porosity of the steel... You don't need to get the rust out... It isn't hurting anything.... A coating of vegetable spray or a few cooks of pork butts will help season the inside... After several smokes, the inside will be coated with volatiles from the wood... but the Mercaptans will live forever....

I just checked width and height of my rf plate and the width 21.5 my height is 7in. When I check the height using 6.75 my Width Is 21.0 just want to double check calculations before I proceed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky