New 3895GWLA Magnetic door latch

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by smokingscooby, May 4, 2016.

1. smokingscooby

smokingscooby Smoking Fanatic

Hey guys just picked up a new landman. I guess its a replacement for the old "Big Block". Only problem so far is the magnetic door latches.. Has anyone modified or added new hardware to secure the door better? I have added 1/8" inch nomex tape and the door will not stay shut. 

2. -c0de-

-c0de- Newbie

I just ordered this same smoker, and after reading multiple reviews I have seen people using a latch similar to this to fix the issue with the weak magnets.

This is the latch I plan on ordering.

If you don't mind me asking, what size width was the nomex gasket tape that you used?

Thanks,

-c0de-

3. smokingscooby

Here is the link..

Enough to do the door plus extra..

4. -c0de-

-c0de- Newbie

Thanks.

Looks like that is 7/8" wide.

Quick question, did you have to cut off any excess overhang, or did it fit perfectly?

Thanks,

-c0de-

5. smokingscooby

I applied it to the door in four pieces. I started by applying tape at top of door, going horizontal, cut off tape at end of the door panel. Then I just did the same for the bottom. For the two sides I measured from the top horizontal  piece of tape to the bottom piece on both sides and placed the tape between the two.

6. smokingscooby

Forgot the part you were looking for...The width was perfect no need to trim anything off..

7. -c0de-

-c0de- Newbie

Awesome! I had already ordered my lavalock when I asked the question. I was more worried about having to trim, but now I know I won't have to.