Never smoked a brisket - I'm going in...(or how I smoked a great piece of meat or how I screwed it t

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toddc

Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
My first brisket....virtually live time.  Heading into my first overnight cook.  I've been chasing temps for the first hour....Here's what I've done..

Put the brisket in around 190...temp was going up and would be there soon, the brisket was slightly higher than room temp.  

It is now settled, according to the Maverick at 235.  

WSM top temp says....screw what that sumbitch says..  I'm ignoring it.  

Center probe says.....nothing...I'm too far away...screw that one too....

No temp on the meat.  

The victim going in...12 something pounds.  

Minion method...loaded up..

The set up..I had no room on the grill so I did the cork thing and it is taking temps from there .

The continuing confusion

Sorry if the pictures are screwed up.  I'm learning this site.  

230 or 245, it doesn't matter

Just keep a solid temp. Cook to probe tender. Good luck.

Went to bed around 1 or so.  Woke at 6:30 trying to remember what I had to do today...shoot...BBQ BRISKET Ahhhhh.... panic.  Grabbed my remote, temp was 199.  hmmm.....

Hauled ass (can I say that here?) downstairs and outside...opened up the lid, somewhat afraid what I would find....and  this thing greeted me...

I smacked the WSM around to show it who's the boss and it got back in line...it's running back up around 225.  I figure I'm going to have to reload it pretty soon.  

I threw some sweet baby ray sweet and spicy bbq sauce on top, just so I can say sweet baby ray.  Meat temp is 163...

Todd is probably in a food coma right now 
drool.gif

Scott

Hey , Toddc . Leave that little 'girl ' alone , she didn't know . You were suppose to be teaching her , or her , you
cool.gif
.  Sticking it out is where the love comes in ; you do add love . . .
confused.gif

It does look good
drool.gif
, and the Bark is great 
439.gif

Have fun and do it again . . .

I pulled it off at 196 and threw it into a ice chest for a few hours.  Was waiting for some folks to arrive.  While everyone loved it, I felt it could have been better.  It was a bit, just a little bit, dry on the end of the flat...  I think next time I'm going to foil.  

But everyone said they loved it...the rub was pretty good..even if I cheated by using a pre-made and then adding some extra stuff.  The bark was great.  The only thing is there was no smoke ring...I mean wtf, that thing sat in a smoker for almost 20 hours and no smoke ring?  Who do I call to complain?  

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...

All in all...I think it was pretty good for my first try.  

Reactions: aceoky
Looks good to me & IMHO - smoke rings look good but they really are just about "show" 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky