Never let your probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bubba in texas

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Central Texas
...touch your meat. So I get the smoker up to 225 this morn to smoke a 9.5 lb butt. Put the butt in and close her up to begin the smoke and close the old eyes for a little longer. Well... 45 mins later I'm only showing 135 on my maverick. I crank the heat up to see if it will react but with little result. ( I don't remember it ever taking this long to get back up to temp) so I assume I crimped the wire on my bbq probe.

I open the smoker and low and behold my bbq probe is touching the butt! :devil: Argghhhhh! Tight quarters in the master forge. You'd think it was still last night if you know what I mean! :biggrin:

Anyhow, working perfectly now :sausage: and looking forward to a long day's smoke...happy Labor Day Weekend all!

Ah, good to know, I will be using my Maverick today in some fairly tight quarters as well. This will be only the second time I have used it, I did get an extra set of probes to have just in case as I am worried about crimping the wire as well...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky