need wood dust?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltysandman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
SFla
hi all,

i feel silly even admitting to this but so others don't have to....did you know that you can make your own wood dust from your wood pellets? i know i know....of course you do! well, for the select special few that have spent money on wood dust after buying wood pellets, this one is for you!

just add water to your pellets and crumble/shake to break them apart. now the dust will take up about 4 times as much space so you don't need a lot of pellets to make dust. i just put about 2 cups on a rimmed baking sheet and add enough water to soak them. they will absorb a lot of water in the beginning. i then use a potato masher to help crumble them finely. you're not done yet though. you need to dry them. i put them in my oven at 400 degrees and occasionally stir them around to release the steam. warning for those with significant others with highly sensitive ole factory senses, damp would has a scent. constantly opening the over to stir will give your kitchen a wondrous wet dog fragrance. actually it's not that bad. once dried, you'll have plenty of wood dust for several smokes.

You can do all that or just use a blender,pulse them until you get the consistency you want.A big time saver over the soaking and drying method.

Reactions: saltysandman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky