NEED UDS OPERATORS HELP!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

new2que

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Greenville, SC
Hey guys, we use an offset firebox "reverse flow" big pit but its not on a trailer, and we've decided to leave it at the family lakehouse.  This means I need something for my own home just for my wife and I.  It seems like the UDS is the best option, and i've found a guy that sells some good looking ones for pretty cheap brand new ($175), but I can tell its not as elaborate as some.

My Concerns:

*Only one dampener, and only one exhaust vent

*only one shelf, no shelf for other meat/water tray

*access door halfway up that would make it easier to add wood, but hard to have another shelf.

*as silly as it is, the paint, does it look cheap like it would burn off? 

Check out the link below, its obvious that they are brand new and appear to be a good build, but please address my concerns! 

Also, are the above mentioned things that I could remedy on my own? still making this a good purchase?  thanks.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/for/1831089137.html

You could build one for yourself at the same price or less.

But it is worth $175 in my opinion. Looks like a nice UDS.

It doesn't need more than one exhaust

You can add a 2nd shelf at any time if you'd like w/ 3 stainless bolts

I dont' think you'll have to worry about ever using the access door. I dont

The paint will be fine (unless you plan on cooking hotter than 400 degrees)

Let us know if you purchase! we'd love to see some pics of you cookin on it

You could build one for yourself at the same price or less.

But it is worth $175 in my opinion. Looks like a nice UDS.

It doesn't need more than one exhaust

You can add a 2nd shelf at any time if you'd like w/ 3 stainless bolts

I dont' think you'll have to worry about ever using the access door. I dont

The paint will be fine (unless you plan on cooking hotter than 400 degrees)

Let us know if you purchase! we'd love to see some pics of you cookin on it
So the charcoal/wood chunks you start with are enough to do 10+ hours at or around 250?  Thanks, I appreciate the help.  Do you also not use a water pan?  He says its far enough from the heat, I guess i'm just used to there being no direct heat at all.

No water pan needed, it is far enough from the charcoal. I think some use a water pan, but I don't and do not think it is needed. The juices and fat drip on the coals and create more flavor, unique to a drum smoker. Some say they don't like that flavor, so I would say a UDS is not for everyone.

Yes you can get 10+ hours of cooking time on one load of charcoal, most people use the minion method to start the fire. I can get 18-20hrs out of one load of lump. It will take some practice to get the drum to cook to you liking, but it is very rewarding.

Last edited:
The value of anything is between the buyer and the seller. I wouldn't give that much for one because I have one. If I wanted one but didn't want to build it, I would pay for it.

Drums are the way to go. Enough said.

I learned to smoke with a side fire box horizontal and I can tell you that the drum will use WAY less fuel and it will maintain temps over night like you wouldn't believe. As said above, they are as customizeable as you can get. You can use a pan for drippings, a waterpan if ya want but not necessary, add and remove racks, cook at low or high temps, heck with a good sized basket, you can load 20# or more charcoal and cook forever.

Get a dome lid and screw it on and you can have a larger smoker..

Just wanted to fill everyone in to let you know I pulled the trigger and am picking her up this weekend in Charleston!  Can't wait to work on some Q, so I can take some View, and supply everyone with QVIEW.

Thanks!

Good luck with your new smoker!

We look forward to seeing much Q-view from you.

As for the drum, I find with mine, that I don't really need the multiple intakes to get it to temp, or maintain temps. As for the door, I don't feel it's necessary as I load my basket with lump & wood and it smokes for much longer than I ever need.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky