Need some quick short rib help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kentucky fisherman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Louisville, KY
Went to Sam's Club today and brought home some "interesting" short ribs. Didn't realize until I got home that instead of cutting this meat with (same direction as) the rib, they cut them across the bones, about 1/2" thick.
Beef ribs (2).jpg

Beef ribs (1).jpg

Couple of questions:

1) In all the beef rib photos I've seen on SMF, I don't think I've ever seen any cut this way. Is it common?
2) With these cuts being only about 1/2" thick, should I expect them to cook much faster than if they were cut in the more traditional direction? Would you cook them as hot as with "standard" ribs -- 275 to 290 range -- or should I drop down to maybe 250 to allow more time in the smoke?

I'd like to smoke these tomorrow or Sunday, so any quick advice I can get will surely be appreciated.

Hey no worries, take them and rub them with your favorite beef rub and smoke at 225 until you hit about 195-200. Wrap in foil and let rest for about 30 minutes wrapped with a blanket. Open and enjoy! I get them all the time!

Reactions: kentucky fisherman
Oh yes don’t do my way, I just glanced and didn’t realize the thickness of the sections. Ignore my way! Lol sorry!

Thanks for the help, guys. Now that I know what to call them, I was able to find numerous threads explaining exactly what I have and how to cook them. Instead of smoking, I've decided to go the Korean route and even now have the ribs marinating. I don't do SV yet, so I'll fire up the charcoal tomorrow and get these rascals cooked fairly quick.

Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks for the help, guys. Now that I know what to call them, I was able to find numerous threads explaining exactly what I have and how to cook them. Instead of smoking, I've decided to go the Korean route and even now have the ribs marinating. I don't do SV yet, so I'll fire up the charcoal tomorrow and get these rascals cooked fairly quick.

Thanks again for the help!
You will love them. Post up some pics!

Marinated the Korean-cut ribs overnight with a recipe I found here. Grilled them over hot coals late this afternoon, about 4-5 minutes on each side. I put the lid on the water smoker and once the fat started rendering the smoke was really rolling. I was gonna do some white rice and nice stir fry veggies, but I got lazy and did corn on the cob with mashed taters and gravy. I decided to call it my "South" Korean menu.

My wife said it was some of the tastiest meat I've ever cooked, which covers a LOT of territory. I thought they tasted like the best ribeye I'd ever cooked. While I almost never cook a steak beyond medium rare, these ribs were cooked through yet still were tender, very juicy, and had killer flavor. My mother-in-law likes well done steak, so she's going to love these flanken ribs. Here's how they turned out, and thanks for all the help.

Cooked.jpg

Heck yes. You killed it. Short ribs are so beefy and tender. One of my favs any way it’s cut.

Those look amazing ! I see those when I go to Sams, too, but never bought them. Seen a tv show where they were marinated in a soy sauce based marinade.....then deep fried! They looked really good, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky