Need some quick help with new MES 40!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glen1978

Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Well just picked me up a MES 40 at Academy and already got it fired up.  Read on here and in the manual before cooking to run it up to 275 for 3 hours and then add chips for the last 45 minutes.  I set the temp to 275 but the temp is showing 300 degrees and the internal probe is showing 359.  The element is staying red the whole time.  I opened the door and let the temp fall to below 275 and the Heating light came on but I could tell no difference in machine operation.  Is this normal with no meat in it??  thanks

Did you set time ?

also cycle the unit by unpugging it for 30 seconds and plugging it back in

Reading your post again ,You are saying that when the heating light turns off at the set temp the element stays on???

yeah I set the time to 3 hours just like it said in the manual  and hit "set".  It went to 275 and the heat light turned off but the element kept on glowing red.  The internal probe showed 359.  I just unplugged it and waiting for it to heat back up......will know in a couple minutes.

Well after unplugging it for a while I turned it back on to 275 and set the timer for one hour.  Temp got to 275 and the light went out but element stayed on.  Temp continued to climb.  Its at 300 now.  The internal probe is at 280 and climbing.....element still glowing.  Once the temp gets to 300 it doesnt go any higher. 

Well after awhile here its still set at 275 but is showing 300 and not going higher.  Meat probe is at 338 and climbing.....element is still on.  Guess Im gonna have to take it back and exchange it.  Puts a bad taste in my mouth and havent cooked a dang thing.

Well turned the thing off and the element stayed on......had to unplug it to get it to go off.  Let it set again for over a minute and plugged it back up without touching any of the controls and the element just came back on.  Guess its a piece of shat and gotta take it back. 

Yo Glen1978, welcome to SMF!

It is unfortunate that you were unlucky with your new MES, however it happens with anything manufactured.  A couple of months ago we bought new range, dishwasher, microwave, the dishwasher failed on startup, I had chose the brand and model based on more than 80 reviews that were almost all highly positive, so I sent the unit back, the replacement was bad, 3rd time a charm.  It was my turn, I'm so glad we didn't abandon that brand/model because the dishwasher does a great job just like all the positive reviews said.  The main thing is to buy from reliable sources that honor the warranty and value their customer, without making it difficult to get replacement or repair.'

The MES gets rave reviews from the majority of owners, you chose correctly purchasing the MES, you were just unlucky and got a faulty one, hopefully your retail supplier is dependable with good customer service and takes care of you.

Well turned the thing off and the element stayed on......had to unplug it to get it to go off.  Let it set again for over a minute and plugged it back up without touching any of the controls and the element just came back on.  Guess its a piece of shat and gotta take it back. 
I was going to advise you last night to go ahead and return the unit as it sounds like the thermostat is not functioning and is stuck in the open state.

Sorry to here about your problems.

Can you give us a update. Did you take it back and get a new one.

Well took it back to Academy and swapped for another one with no problems.  Its on the front porch now fired up and awaiting the initial results......hopefully this one turns off, LOL!  Was gonna do a brisket with Gordons Grub Rub but that will put me eating it as a midnight snack.  Just gonna do some ribs with Angelos pork rib rub.  Guess the 3-2-1 method is the standard....??

Well smoker is working great.  Just cooked it off for 2.25 hours and added my first batch of chips.  Babybacks are rubbed down with mustard and Angelos rub.  2-2-1 is what Im gonna go with at around 230 degrees.

Sounds like it is working for you now.  That's good.  It might have been a defective controller.  Was it the remote or standard controller?  What was model number of your MES40?

Model 2007010 with controller on top of the unit.  Working good.  Ribs been on for 1.5 hours.  Gonna foil em up at 2 hours and stick back in for 2 then unfoil and back in they go.  Move top rack to bottom and vice versa.

Model 2007010 with controller on top of the unit.  Working good.  Ribs been on for 1.5 hours.  Gonna foil em up at 2 hours and stick back in for 2 then unfoil and back in they go.  Move top rack to bottom and vice versa.
There should be one more number in your Model number. Look again maybe 20070710?

I think dale5351 was asking if you had the new 40'' MES with the RF remote control unit model 20070211 or 20070311.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky