Need some emergency help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinfireman

Original poster
May 9, 2011
Sugarcreek, Ohio
I was just contacted by a local Fire Dept and asked if I would be interested in roasting a whole hog for a Memorial Golf outing. One of their Firefighters passed away several years ago, and the proceeds help finance a scholarship program in his memory. I am experienced in roasting/smoking shoulders, ribs, etc so I know the basics,  but have never done a whole hog. This outing is in two weeks!

Can some of you please give me suggestions on what I need to do so I do not end up looking like an idiot? I am told that it will be approx 200lb hog. To see my roaster,  view the pics on my profile. 

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Smokinfireman (Mark)

Last edited:
Find someone who's done it - successfully - before and get his/her help.

I've helped prepare and tend many a pig, but I would be reluctant to take it on by myself without ever having done one.

Having said all that, if you are an experienced smoker, search the web for information and go for it. Chances are very good that everyone will love it. Don't forget to plan time to make enough sauce for the pig and for the plates.

Remember your camera and show us how it goes.

Mark,
welcome1.gif
to SMF.

Check out this thread on smoking a whole pig. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/124041/rodneys-pig

There's more posts on hear on smoking a whole hog. Try the SEARCH button up top and see if that helps.

Good luck with your smoke, and take a lot of pictures. We like to see Qveiw!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky