Need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I have a gas smoker and am in the process of adding a PID controller to allow me to control and monitor the state of my cooks. The PID controller will have many features above what one would have if purchased. I am building it myself. I dont want this to be too technical, i will answer questions, it isn't a secret.

The PID controller will be able to upload cook information from a cook to the cloud and to a cell phone. At this point, the cell phone is the most interesting for the advice i am looking for.

The question is, would it be beneficial for the phone app to be able to monitor both the smoker condition and the meat condition? In other words, if you can control the smoker with your phone or tablet, would it be useful to also be able to monitor the meat probes in the same app?

Reactions: river100
The question is, would it be beneficial for the phone app to be able to monitor both the smoker condition and the meat condition? In other words, if you can control the smoker with your phone or tablet, would it be useful to also be able to monitor the meat probes in the same app?
The app for my Camp Chef pellet grill does all that. It allows you to change settings and monitors both the chamber temp and the meat probes. You can set a finish temp for each probe and the app sends a notification when the meat is near the finish temp. Yeah, I find it extremely useful.

The app for my Camp Chef pellet grill does all that. It allows you to change settings and monitors both the chamber temp and the meat probes. You can set a finish temp for each probe and the app sends a notification when the meat is near the finish temp. Yeah, I find it extremely useful.
Thats all I need, really a.silly question, i knew I needed it. The problem is, I have run out of pins on the microcontroller and have to work out a way to get more. Now the question is, am I going to implement 4 or 8?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky