Need Some Advice and Help (Prepping for Thanksgiving)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello Mike and Red,

Thank you very much for your guys input and information. I'll be receiving the ThermoWorks ThermoPop today which is not a leave in thermometer but its a instant read that got pretty good reviews.

I have to agree with you Red, the Smoke $99 is not going to be a smart buy at this time. The smoker I have is so small I think its impractical to have something like the Smoke. But the Maverick did in fact give me some decent temps for both the meat probe and the internal temp probe. I was thinking about getting the Smoke for future use but honestly by the time I move and have a legitimate smoker, they are going to have new wireless thermometers by then. I like the fact of being able to have a leave in thermometer so that I don't have to keep opening the lid. I feel like with an instant read thermometer,  I obviously have to continuously open the lid to check the temperature. I'm going to be smoking a turkey tonight most likely, the turkey should be defrosted by now. I'm going to inject it with a butter marinade that I am making. I know turkeys typically can be smoked from the temperature of 300 ~ 375F and its about 15 ~ 20 minutes per pound. I have a 10 pound turkey and I'm going to be smoking it for about a little less than 3 hours. I'm planning on opening up the thing and checking it around 2 and half hours, would you say that sounds reasonable?

Red, I would normally use the Maverick but my probe died... I guess I got a bad one. So I ended up returning it and I'll either buy a new one or I may look at buying a different one. Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid plan on the turkey...just make sure you reach an IT of at least 165* in both the breast and thigh.

Sorry you got a bad probe on that new Maverick...it happens. Even the best thermometers will have probes that'll go bad sometimes. In spite of that, I still recommend the Mav ET-732, or that Thermoworks Smoke would also be a great choice.

Red

Sounds like a solid plan on the turkey...just make sure you reach an IT of at least 165* in both the breast and thigh.

Sorry you got a bad probe on that new Maverick...it happens. Even the best thermometers will have probes that'll go bad sometimes. In spite of that, I still recommend the Mav ET-732, or that Thermoworks Smoke would also be a great choice.

Red
Thank you for agreeing on the turkey Red! I will post a picture tonight as long as everything turns out good on it haha... Thank you for the IT confirmation. Hopefully it comes out great because I'm planning on doing a smoked turkey (about 20 pounds) for Thanksgiving. This 10 pound bird is just a trial run.

No need to apologize Red, its not your fault. Like you said, the best thermometers can have bad probes. Its the same with any electronic device, sometimes you get the golden ticket while sometimes you get the bronze.

I'm thinking about re-purchasing the Mav ET-732 to give it another shot or the ThermoWorks Smoke. I like the way the ThermoWorks Smoke looks as far as the probes go, they look a bit sturdier. But the price kinda hurts. The Mav was like $56 and the Smoke is like $99.

Hey guys... So I made the turkey... I didn't like it, nor did the wife. I'm obviously going to eat it throughout the week but it wasn't good at all.

I smoked the 10+ pound bird for 3 hours at 350°F. I seasoned the chicken with a Cajun spice blend. I injected the bird with a butter Cajun spice blend.

I think I know where I messed up but I want your guys input... First off, bird wasn't fully defrosted, I thought it was cause I defrosted it for pretty much 2+ days. I injected the bird but had some difficulties doing it (my first time). I left the parchment paper and giblets in the turkey! Omg lol... So by doing this, the bird had a lot of liquid and soaked up paper in the cavity. Bird had no flavor. Skin was rubbery and not crispy. Some bottom portion and the thigh were not cooked. Assuming because the bird was not fully defrosted to begin with.

Can you guys give some input? I bought another turkey but this one will be for Thanksgiving. Oh! I also bought the ThermoWorks Smoke. After using the ThermoPop, I really enjoyed it but I think a leave in is essential for me. The first smoked item that I made that came out the best was the brisket and I used the Mav to monitor temps.

So besides making sure the bird is fully defrosted. Taking out the innards of the bird and the paper. Injecting correctly. Taking a full 24 hours to season the bird. What else do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance everyone!

GK:

The first thing I'd say is...I recommend you do NOT eat this bird.  If you are correct that it was still partially frozen when it went in the cooker, and if there were parts that were still not fully cooked when you took it out of the cooker, it may not be safe to eat.  You don't want to make yourself or others sick.

This is why it is a MUST that you cook poultry to a target internal temperature.  I would never eat poultry that hasn't reached an IT of at least 165* in all parts of the bird.

As far as your next attempt goes, it sounds like you are still learning from your mistakes.  I would only add:  Be sure to follow safe food handling practices when seasoning and injecting.  If you're gonna season and/or inject the day before, make sure the IT of the bird stays below 40* while handling, then goes straight into a fridge until time to cook.  Also, if you haven't tried it yet, spatchcocking can help you cook the bird to a more even internal temp.

Red

Last edited:
GK:

What Red said is spot on.  While I admire your efforts, play it safe, as no one needs to get sick through the trial and error period.  I understand that Oster's marketing material states that (up to) a 20-lb. bird can be done in your cooker, I just don't see how a bird of that size will fit in a unit that's 17.7 x 24 x 9.8 inches.  If it's cooked whole, it should sit higher than 9.8 inches and the lid won't fit:  if it's spatchcocked, I'd think it would be more than 17.7 or 24 inches, and width/length become issues.  I think that your best bet is to quarter the turkey and go at it from that angle with a 20.  Otherwise, you may want to consider a smaller bird if you're looking at cooking it whole.

As whacky as it sounds, take a tape measure to the gobbler you've bought and will use for Thanksgiving, take measurements, and then see if it's going to fit in the Oster.  If so, you've got some pretty good feedback throughout this post to help you succeed.  My $0.02.

Hello Red and gr0ucho,

Thank you very much for your guys input. For the turkey that we cooked, we're definitely going to throw it into the oven before we eat it. If I am not mistaken, my wife already tossed the uncooked parts of the turkey. Most of the bird did give an IT of 165 if not higher in some parts, I think it was only the portion that I messed up on that it was "under cooked".

That being said, I am definitely planning on seasoning the next one correctly and the night before and throwing it back into the refrigerator to keep the bird at the correct temperature before cooking. As for the measurements, I actually ended up buying a 15 pound bird. I was planning on getting another 10 but they ran out, so 15 it is. I am definitely not cooking a 20+ pound turkey. As for spatchcocking, I don't think it'll fit in my current smoker.

Thanks guys! I can't wait for my ThermoWorks Smoke to get here... Its gonna be here Monday. I think its go be a lot better on my next attempt.

So I ended up buying this one: Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer
I'm gonna take a break from smoking till the weekend. I'm getting the thermometer by Friday. Is there anything you guys have to say about that specific thermometer. It seems like people are saying the probes keep dying.
I have the same Maverick and I love it.

Hey GenghisKong. I'm late to the party--as usual--but welcome.

You've gotten some great advice here and I agree with it all.

I NEVER use the water pan--mine is filled with sand. Top vent always wide open. The twin probe therms are great. I use a Maverick 733 (really wish I had bought a 732).

An instant read therm is, I feel, a necessity. Weber makes a good one for about $10. That's what I have. It takes about 8 secs to give you the "instant" temp but for the price you can't beat it.

One thing about dual probe therms. When you wash them make sure NOT to submerge them. The water will cause them to short out between the probe and the wire. I put shrink tube on that junction as an added protection.

I gave up on cooking whole chickens and now do nothing but chicken parts so we get exaxtly the cuts we prefer. By using skin on parts and injecting, you'll end up with moist and flavorfull meat. We don't eat skin but if we have company that likes the skin, then a short spell under the broiler solves the crispy skin problem.

Now I've only done one turkey--maximum 10 pounds, spatchcocked, brined for 24 hours, and flavor injected. It turned out great even though my MES 30 (Masterbuilt electric smoker) won't reach the higher temps that Case recommended and I had to smoke it at a low and slow temp.

If you're still unable to achieve the smokey flavor you'd like, try a stronger wood--like hickory--or a mix of fruit wood and hickory. You can mix and match woods to your heart's content.

All in all, you're doing great given the limitations you're under. And, even more importantly, you're learning from your mistakes and asking questions.

Don't ever forget--the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Everybody here is always ready and willing to help.

Gary

Last edited:
Hey GenghisKong. I'm late to the party--as usual--but welcome.

You've gotten some great advice here and I agree with it all.

I NEVER use the water pan--mine is filled with sand. Top vent always wide open. The twin probe therms are great. I use a Maverick 733 (really wish I had bought a 732).

An instant read therm is, I feel, a necessity. Weber makes a good one for about $10. That's what I have. It takes about 8 secs to give you the "instant" temp but for the price you can't beat it.

One thing about dual probe therms. When you wash them make sure NOT to submerge them. The water will cause them to short out between the probe and the wire. I put shrink tube on that junction as an added protection.

I gave up on cooking whole chickens and now do nothing but chicken parts so we get exaxtly the cuts we prefer. By using skin on parts and injecting, you'll end up with moist and flavorfull meat. We don't eat skin but if we have company that likes the skin, then a short spell under the broiler solves the crispy skin problem.

Now I've only done one turkey--maximum 10 pounds, spatchcocked, brined for 24 hours, and flavor injected. It turned out great even though my MES 30 (Masterbuilt electric smoker) won't reach the higher temps that Case recommended and I had to smoke it at a low and slow temp.

If you're still unable to achieve the smokey flavor you'd like, try a stronger wood--like hickory--or a mix of fruit wood and hickory. You can mix and match woods to your heart's content.

All in all, you're doing great given the limitations you're under. And, even more importantly, you're learning from your mistakes and asking questions.

Don't ever forget--the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Everybody here is always ready and willing to help.

Gary
Hey there GaryHibbert!

You know what they say, better late than never haha.

This community is fantastic. True fans, fanatics, and pros with smoking.

Yeah, I'm at the point where I don't even add ANY water to the bottom anymore. I did initially and noticed that my meat comes out more "steamed" then smoked. I don't have the luxury of having a water pan since the water just goes directly under the meat. So at this point, I don't add any water at all anymore.

Honestly, I can't wait to move to a location where I can get a legitimate smoking device either on my balcony or backyard. What I have currently isn't the greatest but its all that I can do right now as you mentioned. I sincerely appreciate the kind words and positive reinforcement.

I will definitely take your advice on the washing part. I'm planning on only cleaning the actual probe part. If its any dirtier towards where the wiring meats the probe, I'm probably just going to wipe it clean.

So currently, I have the ThermoWorks ThermoPop that I bought for $24. I just ordered the ThermoWorks Smoke for $99. So pretty much, I have everything I need at this point except for a legitimate smoker which I plan to invest a good $400~$500 on one in the near future.

I have to agree with you on cooking whole chickens. I think I may give up on that. I liked the chicken leg quarters. The only problem I have right now is smoking the whole turkey for Thanksgiving. If I had the choice, I probably could've smoked parts of the turkey as it is sold separately at my local grocery store. But this will probably be my final attempt to smoke a whole bird. I think smoking a whole bird is just "difficult" getting it to cook evenly, unless you smoke it by spatchcocking. Unfortunately, my unit doesn't have the capacity or space to do spatchcocking.

I've actually been doing the mixture of woods. For the turkey I did cherry and hickory. I smoked it at 350 but I don't know if it was truly 350 (lower or higher) because I didn't use the leave in thermometer. When I did use the Mav I had for brisket, it came out wonderful. I was able to monitor the temps and adjust the smoker accordingly to get it to the correct temp for smoking which I believe I did the brisket at 250. Even though the dial was set for 250, I had to adjust it accordingly to actually have it at 250 using the Mav to check the IT of my smoker.

So at this point, I'm very very very excited to get the ThermoWorks Smoke. Monday!

Hey guys,

So I had a quick question that you experts may know how to answer. What do you guys think about:
I'm trying to find if its going to be ideal. I'm currently using:
So I live in an apartment. I basically use the smoker right outside my door at the "landing". Currently, my manager (who lives right below me) doesn't mind me using the Oster because there's charcoal involved. For the Masterbuilt, theres no charcoal involved either.

What I am trying to find out is...

- Will upgrading from the Oster to the Masterbuilt make a different in the quality of my smoked food?

- How is the ease of clean up? (I have to lug the thing in and out of the apartment of course and don't want to drip stuff everywhere, currently my Oster does not have that issue)

- Only "con" I heard about the Masterbuilt is that the drippings can cause a fire. I have heard to fix that issue, just simply put foil underneath the wood and water/drip tray, would this be possible?

- Should I even buy this? Or should I just wait till I move and invest in something better and stationary?

I'm posting this here because I found a post on the forum about the Masterbuilt but there isn't much info on it. So since I've been writing on here, I thought you guys might have some info on whether or not I should take the plunge.

Thanks again guys!

Hey guys!

It's been awhile since I posted on this specific thread.

So made the leap and purchased the Masterbuilt 30 Smoker: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller
I'm seasoning it right now and I'm going to be using it got Thanksgiving. So far, I like it. I still live at my apartment so basically I'm going to have to lug it in and out of my place to the landing for now to use.

I was just checking to see if you guys had any tips, pointers, and tricks. I did my research but I still trust you guys. I'm currently wrapping the drip pan with aluminum foil. I took out the water pan and use those cheap serving disposable aluminum pans instead. I sprayed the inside with Pam when seasoning.

Any other tips and tricks?

Also, how would I clean this? I always read different things when it comes to smoking. Some people say they clean after every use which that takes off the seasoning no? So when do you clean?

Thank you again guys!!!

Hey GK,

Congrats on that new MES...lots of members here cook on one of those so there's plenty to read over in the electric smokers sub forum. I used to own one myself.

My first tip is, don't trust the stock thermometer...they are notoriously inaccurate on those MES rigs. The only way you'll know for sure how close your actual temp is to your set temp is to use a reliable remote therm. Did you get that Thermoworks Smoke? If you did, that'll be the best way to monitor your cooker temps.

As far as cleaning goes, I wouldn't clean anything but the cooking grates...and maybe the drip pan as needed. All other surfaces will get a build up on em, but that's "seasoning", and you don't want to remove it under normal conditions.

Good luck with it...be sure to post some qview! Thumbs Up

Red

Last edited:
Hey there Red!!

Thank you very much for your time and your knowledge.

I absolutely got the Smoke. I will for sure be using it this Thanksgiving as well as any future smoking. All I did today was the seasoning and I already like it, at least more than my other smoker haha.

I'll definitely take your advice on the not cleaning the "seasoning" part. I'll just clean the removables pretty much. Thanks again for all your help! I'll be smoking a turkey this Thanksgiving and taking some pics. Happy Thanksgiving Red!

Good morning GK. I tried to post this yesterday but my internet went down. Red has you pretty much covered and a lot of what I'm gonna say is the same but I'm too lazy this early in th AM to retype it all so...

That's the same smoker that i have--a MES 30 Gen 1. I love it. It's a real easy smoker to use and puts out some fine food. You won't be able to cook at high temps as it will only heat to 275* but for low and slow, pretty much set and forget, you can't beat it.

Just don't trust that the temp setting will have anything to do with reality, or that the meat probe is accurate--I finally just threw mine away and depend on my Mav 733 (which I boil test regularly).

As for cleaning, I just do the grills and change the tinfoil on my grease pan as needed. The cooking grills I spray with Pam before every smoke. Then a fast scrub and into the dishwasher at the end. Brings then up like new.

The only other suggestion would be that if you eventually want to stop using the chip tray, as I did, an AMNPS with a mailbox mod is the way to go.

Enjoy your new smoker.

Gary

Last edited:
Good morning GK. I tried to post this yesterday but my internet went down. Red has you pretty much covered and a lot of what I'm gonna say is the same but I'm too lazy this early in th AM to retype it all so...

That's the same smoker that i have--a MES 30 Gen 1. I love it. It's a real easy smoker to use and puts out some fine food. You won't be able to cook at high temps as it will only heat to 275* but for low and slow, pretty much set and forget, you can't beat it.

Just don't trust that the temp setting will have anything to do with reality, or that the meat probe is accurate--I finally just threw mine away and depend on my Mav 733 (which I boil test regularly).

As for cleaning, I just do the grills and change the tinfoil on my grease pan as needed. The cooking grills I spray with Pam before every smoke. Then a fast scrub and into the dishwasher at the end. Brings then up like new.

The only other suggestion would be that if you eventually want to stop using the chip tray, as I did, an AMNPS with a mailbox mod is the way to go.

Enjoy your new smoker.

Gary

Good morning Gary!

Good ol internet issues haha.

Thank you very much for your time and input. It seems like a lot of individuals that smoke have this Smoker so I am glad I made the right choice by buying this specific model.

When you and Red state don't trust the internal temp, can you even adjust the temp once it's set?

I have a ThermoWorks Smoke unit that comes with an IT reader as well as a meat probe. I'll be for sure using that. But as mentioned, once you set the temp to let's say 225°F and then the time to 8 hours; can you adjust the temp afterwards?

I also saw a lot of individuals that have this unit purchase an AMNPS. I may look into that in the near future. I may just use this baby the way it is for now but definitely appreciate the recommendation.

Also, what are your recommendations on putting liquid? I know some people swear by it while others do not.

So far, I've only seasoned it. I'm doing my first smoke on Thanksgiving. I pretty much wrapped the grease tray with foil. And I will definitely throw the racks into the dish washer and spray with Pam before hand of course.

Thanks for your input Gary!

Good morning Gary!

Good ol internet issues haha.

Thank you very much for your time and input. It seems like a lot of individuals that smoke have this Smoker so I am glad I made the right choice by buying this specific model.

When you and Red state don't trust the internal temp, can you even adjust the temp once it's set?

I have a ThermoWorks Smoke unit that comes with an IT reader as well as a meat probe. I'll be for sure using that. But as mentioned, once you set the temp to let's say 225°F and then the time to 8 hours; can you adjust the temp afterwards?

I also saw a lot of individuals that have this unit purchase an AMNPS. I may look into that in the near future. I may just use this baby the way it is for now but definitely appreciate the recommendation.

Also, what are your recommendations on putting liquid? I know some people swear by it while others do not.

So far, I've only seasoned it. I'm doing my first smoke on Thanksgiving. I pretty much wrapped the grease tray with foil. And I will definitely throw the racks into the dish washer and spray with Pam before hand of course.

Thanks for your input Gary!
Morning GK...yes, you can adjust the controller's temp at any time.  It basically works just like an electronically controlled oven, so you can use the controls to bump the temp up or down any time you want.

Opinions on this vary, but my recommendation is don't put any liquid in that water pan.  All the years I cooked on my MES40, the water pan never had anything in it but a foil lining to make cleanup easy.  

Last tip is what Gary already covered regarding the AMNPS.  IMO its a match made in heaven for an MES.  The wood chip loader works OK, but you have to reload ever 30 minutes or so, depending on how much smoke you want on your food.  With an AMNPS, you can load it with pellets once, and get 8-10 hours or more of constant thin blue smoke without ever futzing with it.  The AMNPS truly makes an MES a set-it-and-forget-it smoker.

Happy Thanksgiving, and good luck with that turkey!

Red

Good morning Red!

Thank you very much for the information. Honestly I wouldn't have known you can adjust the temperature haha... I guess I'll go ahead and make sure I do that in addition to using my Smoke from ThermoWorks.

I think I'm going to stick with your recommendation on not using any liquid in the pan. I took your advice without using liquid in my other little red and things came out better. So I'm sure it'll come out better with this smoker as well.

I will definitely look into the AMNPS. Where can that be purchased by the way? How much does it typically cost?

Another thing Red, so I got in contact with MasterBuilt just because I had a situation come up. You know when you install the top controller unit, where the screw goes into place on top of the unit? Basically when you line up the screw on the top (not the back) and shift the controller "forward" to lock into place. Well, there's this white sticky tape material sort of thing where the hole is. I asked the rep at MasterBuilt if I'm supposed to remove it or just leave it alone and put the controller on there and he told me to just put it on there. I wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. The rep also gave me some pointers when I was talking to him which is to wipe down the inside of the smoker with water and vinegar after every single use. I don't think I'm going to do that... Based off of what I've researched and what you recommended, that's "seasoning". So why would the rep advise me to clean it every single time?

OH! And the last thing... I noticed when I was wiping down the "seal" around the door, the inside of the seal (not the outer) is not really sticking; especially on the bottom. Like where they would put glue to hold it in place, it didn't stick. I noticed on the left, right, and top side of the seal; its not glued at all. Well, at least not like the bottom. The bottom has some glue here and there but not fully glued. So I asked the rep and just as a safety precaution, he's going to be sending me another door since my unit is brand new. Have you ever heard of this seal problem? I know its hard to read this and picture what I'm talking about. But hopefully you understand...

Thank you Red!!

Like Red said, you can adjust the temp. Just keep bumping it up or down til your thermoworks says thats the temp you want. Then remember what corresponding temp the MES is set at for next time.

Like Red I never use the water dish. Mine is filled with sand and foiled over to keep the sand clean.

The AMNPS you can find on this site. The owner Todd is a great guy (and a sponsor) and he'll answer anything you ask him. No idea what it sells for--I'm a Canuck and had to buy it up here as Todd doesn't export except to dealers.

Until you make up your mind on the AMNPS, the chip tray will work pefectly fine--you just have to keep refilling it.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky