Need quick rib roast advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
I've got a 17 lb boneless beef rib roast in the traeger. Supposed to eat around 6:30 ( 4 hours from now). Came home from lunch and it's at 125. It went WAY faster than I thought it would.
So ideally would pull, sear and serve now, But I've got 4 hours to go! I'm not at my house so I have no sous vide. I've got a traeger and an oven, that's it.
ATM I've got the traeger turned down to 165, but worries that it'll still get to cooked in 4 hours. But the traeger won't go any lower.
Also complicating, we are going to church at 4:30 and won't be back until about 6, so I've got to do something I can leave hand of for 1.5 hours.
Any tips appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
Wrap it and rest it in the oven (not turned on) until dinner time. Should hold its temp until dinner. If it cools a bit, just turn the oven on and warm it back to your desired temp.

Reactions: tallbm
I'm in the camp of pull now, wrap in foil and leave in the oven to keep heat OR even put in the fridge so its not in the temp danger zone too long

You can always turn on the grill to get it screaming hot. Cut the roast into servings, sear, and serve. Honestly I find it tastes better this way anyhow.

Ended up wrapping in paper. Pre-heated oven to 170 then turned it off. Put the roast in.
Pulled the roast at 6:30, IT was 125. Seared on a Weber gas grill. Turned out great. Thanks for the tips.
tallbm tallbm , I agree, better as seared steaks, but in my wife's family, you have rib roast in special occasions, and we were celebrating.

I did take the ribs I cut off the roast and put them on the trader as well. Wrapped them after 3 hours at 325 and left at 225 until dinner. They also turned out great! I've always trimmed the ribs as lean as possible, but tried smoking them this time. Next time I'm going to leave a little more meat on them.

Ended up wrapping in paper. Pre-heated oven to 170 then turned it off. Put the roast in.
Pulled the roast at 6:30, IT was 125. Seared on a Weber gas grill. Turned out great. Thanks for the tips.
tallbm tallbm , I agree, better as seared steaks, but in my wife's family, you have rib roast in special occasions, and we were celebrating.

I did take the ribs I cut off the roast and put them on the trader as well. Wrapped them after 3 hours at 325 and left at 225 until dinner. They also turned out great! I've always trimmed the ribs as lean as possible, but tried smoking them this time. Next time I'm going to leave a little more meat on them.
Nice glad to hear about the overall success and the new rib approach you have going! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky