Need jerky input.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lilpete

Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
central ohio
I'm wanting to do some jerky in my smoker, I have a Brinkmann electric smoker that heats to 225° with no adjustments. I know jerky is best at 150° and wondered if leaving the lid a little off to the side would be an option. Or if I should just use the oven again and not waste the meat? I have a dehydrator but I like how the meat cooks when its hanging. Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
I think you can hook up an appropriately rated rheostat and have control over your temp instead of just on/off.

I have a johnson controls thermostat I use in my kegerator that can also be used with a heater. It has a temp probe to read the temperature and you just plug the smoker into the unit and it will turn the smoker on and off accordingly. Worked like a charm with my electrically retrofitted gas smoker and ten lbs of jerky. The difference being it gives the unit full power for limited amounts of time, where a rheostat limits the amount of power given to it at a steady rate. I have no advice as to which one may be better than other.

MARINADE FOR BEEF, FISH OR TURKEY JERKY
3cups soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup liquid smoke

If Heat is wanted, add some Crushed Chili Peppers or Cayenne Pepper or Ghost Pepper if your up to it.
Mix together, let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1-2 pounds of meat and let marinate
for 3 hours or overnight in an airtight container. Drain, place on trays to dry or smoke.  If smoking, do it from start to finish or do 3 hours at 170, full smoke then remove and put in dehydrator to finish.

MARINADE FOR BEEF, FISH OR TURKEY JERKY
3cups soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup liquid smoke

If Heat is wanted, add some Crushed Chili Peppers or Cayenne Pepper or Ghost Pepper if your up to it.
Mix together, let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1-2 pounds of meat and let marinate
for 3 hours or overnight in an airtight container. Drain, place on trays to dry or smoke.  If smoking, do it from start to finish or do 3 hours at 170, full smoke then remove and put in dehydrator to finish.
1 cup of liquid smoke for 1-2lbs of meat? Seems like an awful lot of liquid smoke for a small amount of meat?  You must really like the smoke flavor?

1 cup of liquid smoke for 1-2lbs of meat? Seems like an awful lot of liquid smoke for a small amount of meat?  You must really like the smoke flavor?
No idea, I never use 1 to 2 I use like 8 to 10 lbs, this makes enough of it for that much.  That recipe was copy and paste from the Mr Coffee Food Dehydrator Manual.

kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/mr_coffee/fd5.html?idRes=510587     See Page 25

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky