need idea and help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soslow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Ramona Ca.
I live in a small town in Ca. ya I know 30k is not small to some of you.

I have been invited to compete in a Chile cook off for a charity event for a good cause !

They said you smoke maybe smoked Chile?? I kind of blew it off but, that competitiveness is getting me.

any Ideas ?

I did burnt ends for the first time last week and loved them . I keep thinking burnt end Chile.

call me craze

John

not crazy at all. When I make brisket, I always save some and freeze it so I can throw it in my chili

Here is a recipe that I've been using
[h2]Ingredients[/h2]
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons bacon grease, or canola oil
  • 2 red bell peppers, diced (about 2 cups)
  • 2 jalapenos, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 3 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
  • 3 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
  • 2 yellow onions, diced (about 2 cups)
  • 1 head garlic, minced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 pound brisket, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 2 pounds ground beef, coarse grind
  • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 2 teaspoons granulated onion
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons hot paprika
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup tomato paste
  • 12 ounces Guinness beer
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon
  • 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chili beans, with juice
  • 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chili beans, with spicy juice
[h2]Directions[/h2]
In large stock pot over high heat, add butter and bacon grease. Add bell pepper, jalapeno, chiles and onion and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute a minute longer.  Add ground beef and sausage to brown and stir gently, trying not to break up the ground beef too much. Cook until meat is nicely browned and cooked through, about 7 to10 minutes. Add brisket . Add in granulated onions, granulated garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add in tomatos and paste and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in beer and chicken stock. Add beans, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours.

As with all chilis and soups, its always better the next day!

Wow thanks Guys , they both sound great ! Iwill try both and see what the family likes for a trail run

John

I think your chances just got better 

cheers.gif

I recently (december) won a chili cookoff at work. I did a pulled pork/no bean chili that was awesome! If you would like the receipe,( because I dodn't know how to post links)  click on my name , then posts started, then Chili Cookoff. It was great. Good luck which ever way you deciede to go!

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky