need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biddrew87

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I am trying to find a sauce recipe that uses commercial sauces to make a really good simi homemade taste but the ease of just mixing and a little cooking. Thank you.

Hello biddrew87.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  As for your question:  I'm afraid I can't help but there are many Pro Chefs among our members so I feel certain someone will be able to help.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Starting with a store bought and doctoring it up is very common.  Cajuns cant open a can or bottle with out adding to it.  What to add is very much up to ya own taste buds here is a few of the many different choices.  Remember that experimenting IM O is a big fun part of cooking.

Sweet: brown sugar, syrup, honey, even poodely gourmet stuff like agave  necter

Mustard: yellow, brown or again with the gourmet fancy grey poupon

hot sauce: a Cajun necessity added to taste

Fancy stuff like bacon bits with onion diced and fried in the bacon drippings.

The list of possibilities goes on and on limited by ya imagination, and experimenting is the fun part.  I been q'ín and smokin' for more years than I can remember and still enjoy trying to tweek the process.

My "go-to" easy sauce is:

1 part Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ sauce

1/2 part apple juice

1/4 part cider vinegar

1/4 part molasses

Bring to a simmer and taste, adjust vinegar and molasses as desired, then let hit barely simmer till it reduces down and thickens a bit. It is a thin tangy sauce that still gets a lot of depth to the flavor from the molasses. It is awesome on pork and chicken, but I for beef I use a lot less molasses and add in some Worcestershire - I prefer a savory flavor with beef over a sweeter flavor.

My "go-to" easy sauce is:

1 part Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ sauce
1/2 part apple juice
1/4 part cider vinegar
1/4 part molasses

Bring to a simmer and taste, adjust vinegar and molasses as desired, then let hit barely simmer till it reduces down and thickens a bit. It is a thin tangy sauce that still gets a lot of depth to the flavor from the molasses. It is awesome on pork and chicken, but I for beef I use a lot less molasses and add in some Worcestershire - I prefer a savory flavor with beef over a sweeter flavor.

Yes. I like this. I usually steer clear of SBR because its too sweet. I can see this being just right. I know i wasnt the one who asked , but Thanks. :biggrin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky