Need help with next brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NoobSmokebot

Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Hey guys. Just to clarify, I'm smoking on a pit boss 820 pellet grill. I'm planning to smoke my next brisket and could use some pointers. The first brisket I smoked was 12 lbs. untrimmed. I put the brisket in and 10PM , smoked at 250 and wrapped at about 4 AM. A mistake I made was probing the point and not the flat, which read 170. At 6 AM it was at 203 so I took it off and let it rest for 4 hours. In the end, the flat was tender, but dry, however the point had a great smokey taste and was both tender and juicy. Any pointers for my next cook so that I can keep my flat nice and moist as well? (A little side note, I kept a water pan in there.)

Like you said, you need to probe in the thickest part of the flat. Somewhere between 190 and 210 it’s gonna have little resistance and be ready. How much resistance is trial and error. You just overcooked it, which I’ve done a dozen times.

Reactions: NoobSmokebot
You have the first point figured out. Probing for IT should be in the thickest part of the flat and not the point. Temp is only a guideline, the test for doneness is the feel of the probe going into the flat in multiple places (not the point which will always fool you due to its fat content). The feel is like running your probe into a jar of peanut butter. If pulled when tender, let the brisket rest open on the counter for 5-10 minutes in order to stop the cooking, then wrap and place in a cooler with towels for 1.5-2 hours. If you don't retard the cooking and put a done and wrapped brisket directly into the cooler it will become overcooked. Personally, I leave the therm probe in the meat in order to monitor the IT while resting.

Reactions: NoobSmokebot
Thanks guys. My main concern was undercooking it also. 8 hours seemed too quick for a 12 lb brisket.

Hi,
I attempted to add 3 pix to my first post here but they didn't "take" like they do on other boards. I also did a search of how to post pictures and only found some discussions but no "here's how to do it" threads. Any help would be appreciated!
thanks,
rahulsaha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky