Need help with my butt lol

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Junior0249

Original poster
Apr 27, 2022
I smoked a 8.5 and 11.5 butt in my off seat smoker around 225 for about 12 hours and then put them in my electric smoker to finish at around 1230 to 1am at a temp of 210 they were at around 150 and I went to bed at 430am I wake up and go check on them the door to the electric smoker is open and the temp is around 150 of the smoker the meat one is like 115 and the other 125 is it still good to eat they are in it now and I raised the heat to 225 and let it cooked for the rest of the timer which is about 4 hours so I don't know when the door open or how long it was opened couldn't have been more then 2 hours

Welcome! Now would be a good time to get a multi probe therm to alert you of the temp drop. Read around here some and you may up the temp on your next smoke to get some sleep. My kettle likes 275 and some folks smoke even at higher temp.

Reactions: Junior0249
Welcome! Now would be a good time to get a multi probe therm to alert you of the temp drop. Read around here some and you may up the temp on your next smoke to get some sleep. My kettle likes 275 and some folks smoke even at higher temp.
What is one you recommend that ain't to costly

good grief!! sunday i did 2 butts totalling just over 17 lbs for pulled pork, i smoked them at 225 for 7 hours and they were plenty done

Inkbird has several options that are good. ThermoPro is another very good option.

Reactions: TNJAKE
good grief!! sunday i did 2 butts totalling just over 17 lbs for pulled pork, i smoked them at 225 for 7 hours and they were plenty done
Wow you must be a pro! Or a magician? Or? Nobody in the history of smoking meat can or ever will smoke a 8-8.5lb butt at 225 and have it ready in 7hrs. It's impossible for pulled pork. And I can attest to my statement as I'm a low and slow guy myself. Give the guy a break and help him instead of ridicule him with statements that you obviously know nothing about

WOW, did you slice it extremely thin and run thru a paper shredder? Inquiring minds want to know how this was done.

Chris

Nobody in the history of smoking meat can or ever will smoke a 8-8.5lb butt at 225 and have it ready in 7hrs. It's impossible for pulled pork.
I've smoked a ton of pork butt and there ain't no way 7 hours is going to get it for an 8* butt@225. That would put the smoke at 13 hours or better, in my experience. You push it up close to 300* then you might pull it off, but no way at 225*

i beg to difffer.
i "pulled" it apart into tiny pieces with my fingers
( took about 10 mnutes per butt ) i've been doing this for many many years

Last edited:
i beg to difffer.
i "pulled" it apart into tiny pieces withmy fingers
If you can smoke an 8+ pound pork butt to done in 7 hours at 225* , I want to see it and verify your smoker temps with my own therms, cause I been at this a long time, too, and I'm calling BS.

call it what you want haha
but if my memory serves me the longest i have EVER smoked a Boston Butt was about 9 hours
( must have come from an old hog or just an extra tough pig )
by the way, i have NEVER used a " temp probe " in my life , i simply take it out of my smoker when i can pull the bone out with a pair of tongs which is about 7 hours in

by the way, i have NEVER used a " temp probe " in my life , i simply take it out of my smoker when i can pull the bone out with a pair of tongs which is about 7 hours in
So you have no earthly idea what temp you are smoking at, which is kind of unhelpful.

call it what you want haha
but if my memory serves me the longest i have EVER smoked a Boston Butt was about 9 hours
( must have come from an old hog or just an extra tough pig )
I would bet that 225 is closer to 275 in that case. I typically am expecting 8 to 9 hours at about 275

Reactions: DougE
i beg to difffer.
i "pulled" it apart into tiny pieces with my fingers
I've been doing this for many many years as well. On a variety of smokers. Even competitive. You are dilusional and full of yourself.

let me explain it this way , before i retired i had a BBQ business ,i didn't have time to play with high tech toys, i had to KNOW when to expect meat to be done . i smoked 6 butts per day, 6 days a week . i could not call "experts " to tell me what is "impossable" i simply had to cook it , cool it , process it and serve it . when the bone slips out ...its done !!! if you don't believe me so be it

let me explain it this way , before i retired i had a BBQ business ,i didn't have time to play with high tech toys, i had to KNOW when to expect meat to be done . i smoked 6 butts per day, 6 days a week . i could not call "experts " to tell me what is "impossable" i simply had to cook it , cool it , process it and serve it . when the bone slips out ...its done !!! if you don't believe me so be it
I'm not a tech guy either. I do use an instant read from times to time on certain things. OP was asking for help and you provided a soapbox of un truths instead. Simply I don't care as I know how to smoke a butt. You clearly don't

You did the same on your what is overcooked thread. You asked then basically called everyone inferior when they gave you advice. But you've been doing this for years. Why even ask for advice?

the "overcooked " thread was just something to have a fun conversation with as there is clearly no definitive answer , i was never asking for advice ,
what i measure as temp is the temp of the smoke as it leaves the stack NOT the meat temp . as long as the folks that i cook for love what i cook , i could care less what so called experts think ...bye now

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky