Need help identifying a wood.

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by tf bbq, Jul 6, 2008.

1. tf bbq

tf bbq Fire Starter

I found what appeared to be a down hickory tree near my house. So I went and got my saw and came back. When I got there I got a chance to look closely at the leaves. They are really dry and shrivled. They look like maple leaves but I don't think there are that many maple trees in Arkansas.

Anybody know of any leaves that may resemble maple? I have been Googling images of hickory bark and maple bark. There are not a whole lot of degrees of separation between them.

What ever it is does a heck of a job on hamburgers. I decided to try it on some meat had to cook anyway. I will try it on something else now.

2. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

sweet gum maybe tulip poplar need photo

3. tf bbq

tf bbq Fire Starter

Looks like sweet gum is the most probable answer. I just looked up the leaves. I will find my camera and post a picture of the bark and wood. I will try and get a picture of a leaf. They are quite shrivled.

Anybody ever smoked with sweet gum? It did a good job on burgers. I am trying it on yard bird (chicken) now.

4. tf bbq

tf bbq Fire Starter

Here is the image of the wood and bark. Full size image if you need to blow it up.