Need help. I made a batch of Teriyaki Meat sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huge bama fan

Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
The samples cooked on the stove were great.... the sticks have a bead taste. I used JD wood chips and the sticks were all beef. Moisture was off as well very dry. I pulled them at 162 IT and then hung them for several hours.

Please post your recipe and a better description of the taste. With the limited information you posted there is no way to help you.

Also what was your pit temp and what did the smoke look like coming out of the smoker.

Last edited:
Tbe cabels kit ,MES, i started at 100 until casings were dry and then went to 140 for about 30 min and then to 190 for several hours like 3 to 4 and then bumped it up to 225 once the sticks were only about 8 degrees away.from being done.

The taste is hard to describe...The sample were sweet i was worried about them coming out to sweet lol but when i bite into them i get the smoke first and then it changes to almost a sour bitter tatste.

The bitter taste sounds like you had too much smoke, was the smoke white? I have not used the JD chips, but sweeter and milder woods pair better with sweeter meats mixes like teriyaki.

Did you use 80/20 beef? It may have been too lean. I usually shoots for a 70/30 meat to fat ratio or a 85/25. You can use 80/20 but you really have to watch your pit temps and make sure and pull at an IT of 152°-155°.

Your pit temps at the end were too high. I never go above 180°. Above that and you will get fat out causing dryer meat. Your final temp was too high in my opinion for sticks ad sausage. I take mine to 152°-155°.

Try starting at 120° then bump the temp 10° every hour until you get to 180°. It takes time but your final product will be much better.

The bitter taste sounds like you had too much smoke, was the smoke white? I have not used the JD chips, but sweeter and milder woods pair better with sweeter meats mixes like teriyaki.

Did you use 80/20 beef? It may have been too lean. I usually shoots for a 70/30 meat to fat ratio or a 85/25. You can use 80/20 but you really have to watch your pit temps and make sure and pull at an IT of 152°-155°.

Your pit temps at the end were too high. I never go above 180°. Above that and you will get fat out causing dryer meat. Your final temp was too high in my opinion for sticks ad sausage. I take mine to 152°-155°.

Try starting at 120° then bump the temp 10° every hour until you get to 180°. It takes time but your final product will be much better.

Thanks i done another batch that was waiting to go into the smoker and used maple and added smoke for about an hour and a half. Turned Great.

I trimmed whole eye round and sirloin then ground seasond and stuffed

Case covered it all!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky