Need help deciding on a new MES 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi everyone, new to this site and just posted my welcome in Roll Call.  I'm also looking to upgrade from my ECB charcoal smoker.  Stumbled onto this thread and so glad I did.

UPDATE as of 4-30-16:  I called Masterbuilt and the lady I spoke to said they did have a few "scratch & dent" of these models left, only in red color.  About the same info as Stayhot last posted.  I'm going to call today to place my order.  Questions for those of you who have purchased this:  anything you've noticed so far that you haven't liked about this unit?  I was about to pick up the 20070910 gen 1 from my local HD before stumbling across this thread.  But now I'm convinced (i think) that this deal for the newer model is the way to go. Thanks!

Hi everyone, new to this site and just posted my welcome in Roll Call.  I'm also looking to upgrade from my ECB charcoal smoker.  Stumbled onto this thread and so glad I did.

UPDATE as of 4-30-16:  I called Masterbuilt and the lady I spoke to said they did have a few "scratch & dent" of these models left, only in red color.  About the same info as Stayhot last posted.  I'm going to call today to place my order.  Questions for those of you who have purchased this:  anything you've noticed so far that you haven't liked about this unit?  I was about to pick up the 20070910 gen 1 from my local HD before stumbling across this thread.  But now I'm convinced (i think) that this deal for the newer model is the way to go. Thanks!
Great so far.  The one thing I didn't get is that the manual said not to use extension cords, and to use the smoker 10' away from any structure.  But then only comes with about a ~6' cord.  Oh well, I'm using an extension cord. Not sure which is better to violate.

Last edited:

Great so far.  The one thing I didn't get is that the manual said not to use extension cords, and to use the smoker 10' away from any structure.  But then only comes with about a ~6' cord.  Oh well, I'm using an extension cord. Not sure which is better to violate.
I would say if you aren't going to be around while it's going, the 10' away from any structure or much more is the most important.

Mine sits on my Wood front porch, about 2' from my All Wood house wall, but it never cooks without me being awake & nearby.

I believe as long as your Extension cord is heavy enough, it's OK to use.

Bear

Last edited:

I would say if you aren't going to be around while it's going, the 10' or much more is the most important.

Mine sits on my Wood front porch, about 2' from my All Wood house wall, but it never cooks without me being awake & nearby.

I believe as long as your Extension cord is heavy enough, it's OK to use.

Bear
I use a short (about 6') heavy gauge extension cord and it hasn't been a problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's not really that the Meat Probes in the MES units are all wrong, it's just that there really isn't a good way to test them for accuracy. I would never trust mine.

Bear
  Well instead of just saying the MES probes are untrustworthy I went out and tested mine with my camping stove and some H2O. 800' elevation here so it should read around 210f. The MES probe came in at 209f. More accurate than my maverick when I first got it. ;) 

Smoker is working as advertised, Ribs, pulled pork, brisket and deer sausage all came out great. The smoker temp gauge is within 2f to 4f of my maverick and has very little swing once warmed up good. 

Added the AMNPS and I finally have a set it and forget it smoker. 

Thanks to cobraSJP for the deal. 

Well instead of just saying the MES probes are untrustworthy I went out and tested mine with my camping stove and some H2O. 800' elevation here so it should read around 210f. The MES probe came in at 209f. More accurate than my maverick when I first got it. ;) 

Smoker is working as advertised, Ribs, pulled pork, brisket and deer sausage all came out great. The smoker temp gauge is within 2f to 4f of my maverick and has very little swing once warmed up good. 

Added the AMNPS and I finally have a set it and forget it smoker. 

Thanks to cobraSJP for the deal. 
Sounds like you're in good shape then.

I don't have a camp stove, so I'll just keep using my Mavericks that are so easy for me to check for accuracy.

I've been helping people with their MES units for years, and I know about the inaccuracies of the MES probes & sensors.

Mine might be accurate too, but I'm not gonna trust a maybe.

The swing temps on my Gen #2.5 is real good too.

Bear

I bought my mes 30 model 20071011. Smoked many things so far. I am lucky as i never had a issue with it yet. Maybe the mods will come later. I also have a Bradley smoker i use at times. Now the Bradley i use big chunk wood as i do not care for the disks. That unit got modified for that reason. That was my very first smoker i got. I think it all comes down to personal preference and the knowledge you gain by the fine people in this site.

Called Masterbuilt on Wednesday to educate myself on the various electric smokers they offer. After talking for several minutes, the salesperson mentioned they had a great deal on their GEN2.5 30" electric smokers. But that they only had a few left and in cinnamon only.

I asked if they were scratch and dents or refurbished units. But Becky guaranteed me they were 100% brand new and were simply leftovers from a QVC order.  

Couldn't refuse such a great deal. Went ahead and ordered the 30" Model 20076716 (cinnamon) for $160 + $25 shipping.

This morning Becky emailed the FedEx tracking number and it already shows it's halfway to Michigan and will be delivered on Monday!   
kewl.gif

We're new to this site and new to smoking, and really look forward to joining the community and learning a ton about smoking.

Do these smokers need to be seasoned?

Thanks!

Called Masterbuilt on Wednesday to educate myself on the various electric smokers they offer. After talking for several minutes, the salesperson mentioned they had a great deal on their GEN2.5 30" electric smokers. But that they only had a few left and in cinnamon only.

I asked if they were scratch and dents or refurbished units. But Becky guaranteed me they were 100% brand new and were simply leftovers from a QVC order.  

Couldn't refuse such a great deal. Went ahead and ordered the 30" Model 20076716 (cinnamon) for $160 + $25 shipping.

This morning Becky emailed the FedEx tracking number and it already shows it's halfway to Michigan and will be delivered on Monday!   
kewl.gif

We're new to this site and new to smoking, and really look forward to joining the community and learning a ton about smoking.

Do these smokers need to be seasoned?

Thanks!
Congrats!!

That's a Great smoker!!

As long as it's big enough, you'll love it.

Yes it needs to be seasoned. 

The directions will tell you how, but if I remember correctly, you set it & turn it on at 275° for 3 hours, and add chips during the last hour.

That should burn off the manufacturing oils & add some smoke to the interior walls.

I would stay with it & keep track of the temps at half hour intervals.

Hope this helps,

Bear

Thanks Bear! Hopefully it will be large enough.

Appreciate the tips on seasoning.

Finally have an afternoon off and no rain. Time to unpack the new MES.  Like a kid at Christmas. Time to put it together....what's this ?? The leg kit has wheels ?? Oh man, I was thrilled just to get the bare bones smoker for this price, then I heard they come with leg kit. Now I find wheels, this just keeps getting better. I almost feel guilty for what I paid for it.

Assembly gave me flash backs of Christmas eves when the kids were little. Nothing difficult, just everywhere I looked there was another screw to put in. I just wanted to start making smoke.

I am thoughly impressed with the solid design and quality. Finally got to seasoning. Tracking temps with on board meat probe and a cheap but accurate digital probe therm. Temps dead on, with a +/- 10 deg swing, the avg being exactly the set temp. Just added the wood chips for the last hour of seasoning and looks like TBS. Hard to tell under the porch light and against a blue house, but smells good.

I did have an issue with a malformed support bracket and a couple of racks that were slightly bowed due to the boxes that were stuffed between racks. The racks were easily straighted bt when I tried to tweek the bracket, a spot weld at one end gave way. Glad I found that, it never would have supported a pork butt. I know Masterbuilt CS is second to none, so I have no worries about that.

Next up, try out the AMNPS and on to food. I am excited.

Finally have an afternoon off and no rain. Time to unpack the new MES.  Like a kid at Christmas. Time to put it together....what's this ?? The leg kit has wheels ?? Oh man, I was thrilled just to get the bare bones smoker for this price, then I heard they come with leg kit. Now I find wheels, this just keeps getting better. I almost feel guilty for what I paid for it.

Assembly gave me flash backs of Christmas eves when the kids were little. Nothing difficult, just everywhere I looked there was another screw to put in. I just wanted to start making smoke.

I am thoughly impressed with the solid design and quality. Finally got to seasoning. Tracking temps with on board meat probe and a cheap but accurate digital probe therm. Temps dead on, with a +/- 10 deg swing, the avg being exactly the set temp. Just added the wood chips for the last hour of seasoning and looks like TBS. Hard to tell under the porch light and against a blue house, but smells good.

I did have an issue with a malformed support bracket and a couple of racks that were slightly bowed due to the boxes that were stuffed between racks. The racks were easily straighted bt when I tried to tweek the bracket, a spot weld at one end gave way. Glad I found that, it never would have supported a pork butt. I know Masterbuilt CS is second to none, so I have no worries about that.

Next up, try out the AMNPS and on to food. I am excited.
Sounds like you're already having fun!!!

In case you haven't seen this, once you get that new toy all figured out, here's a lot more fun you can have:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

I just discovered this site and this deal because my 20070910 is being delivered today and I was looking into how to get started, recipes, etc. My main question is whether it is worth the lost time, the effort and the probable return fee to Amazon to get this unit, particularly as a complete beginner.

I just discovered this site and this deal because my 20070910 is being delivered today and I was looking into how to get started, recipes, etc. My main question is whether it is worth the lost time, the effort and the probable return fee to Amazon to get this unit, particularly as a complete beginner.
I'm not sure what your question is.

However the one you say you're getting delivered is a good model:

20070910 black door/no window, 800 watt heating element, with heating element access door, small wood chip tray.

Bear

I'm not sure what your question is.
However the one you say you're getting delivered is a good model:

20070910 black door/no window, 800 watt heating element, with heating element access door, small wood chip tray.

Bear
I was just trying to ask if I would be better served by the unit I have getting delivered or the unit everyone is getting better, or if I would even notice a difference between the 2 etc. The one I've got cost almost exactly what everyone is getting this one for on here and I just wanted the best bang for the buck.

Thanks

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky