Need help curing hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cvan

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2020
I just had a neighbor drop of 2 fresh hams ( #7 and #9 ) that he would like me to cure and smoke for Easter. I Have used Pops brine method before and had excellent results. My question is do I have enough time to get them cured correctly before smoking using pops method? I have always errored on curing longer than needed to make sure it has gotten all the way cured.
Any help would be appreciated!

Your goal is Easter? I think you’ve got plenty of time. I usually brine for 7-10 days and I’ve had great results each time. The key for me was injecting it like crazy. Good luck and post results!

Reactions: tallbm
I just had a neighbor drop of 2 fresh hams ( #7 and #9 ) that he would like me to cure and smoke for Easter. I Have used Pops brine method before and had excellent results. My question is do I have enough time to get them cured correctly before smoking using pops method? I have always errored on curing longer than needed to make sure it has gotten all the way cured.
Any help would be appreciated!
Hi there and welcome!

Yeah you have time.
I have never used pops brine but as long as the ratios of salt and cure work for the amount of water and weight of the meat then that is a good start.

Like R RevSmoke mentioned, just inject that cure/brine all into the hams, especially near and around the bone. This will ensure the ham is curing from the inside out, as well as from the outside in!

Doing this significantly speeds up curing and brining times.
Just inject pops brine all over. Like go wild with it and I bet those suckers cure up in 5 days.
Still go as long as you know will be good but, understand that injecting all over should get you there without issue.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Guess I need to get some phosphates and try Daves method, as it seems quick and may suit my tastes!
I will get pics when I smoke. I plan on using a blend of pecan and oak.
Thanks again! This why I joined this forum, always someone to help out.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Guess I need to get some phosphates and try Daves method, as it seems quick and may suit my tastes!
I will get pics when I smoke. I plan on using a blend of pecan and oak.
Thanks again! This why I joined this forum, always someone to help out.
Best ever. I’ve been at this a long while, and yes Dave’s method is top. Make sure you use Kitchen Basics brand vegetable no salt. Other brands are not the same, even not good. The recipe is specific. Also a blend of pecan and cherry is worth trying. That’s all I use now. Flavor is spot on and color is off the charts.

Today was the day to cook the neighbors hams. Had the smoker to temp by 8:30 and they went on. Added 2 racks of baby backs at 9: to keep them company on the vertical, and added a 3# slab of belly that I cured on the horizontal with a tray of applewood pellets under it. Temps in the vertical ran 250-300 the whole time, as the horizontal ran a constant 150*
Ribs went a little too long as we got busy with yard work, but turned out tasty, even though they were fall of the bone, and had a little too much bark.
Next try will be Daves method of curing hams, can’t wait to try.
Hope everyone has a great Easter and can celebrate with family and friends.

Attachments

• 5BB5E441-FF34-4E41-9F5A-D2A1C83545BF.jpeg
    5BB5E441-FF34-4E41-9F5A-D2A1C83545BF.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1FBBBCF3-75D7-4432-93E7-EA816038289A.jpeg
    1FBBBCF3-75D7-4432-93E7-EA816038289A.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 7BA9773B-C9B2-4564-B005-7938D34821A2.jpeg
    7BA9773B-C9B2-4564-B005-7938D34821A2.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky