Need Brining Help!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auheld11

Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I received the following brining recipe for ribs and they swear by it. I am going to try it, but am not sure when to add the ribs to the brine. The recipe requires that you dissolve the salt and sugar in the water and then add the ribs to the brine. My question is the brine will obviously have to be hot to dissolve the salt and sugar. Do I wait for the brine to cool down and then add the ribs or can I just add it while warm? Here is the recipe, I will let everyone know how it works out.

Also, I am only doing one rack of ribs, anyone know if I should cut the brine recipe in half?

1C kosher salt or 1/2C table salt - kosher strongly recommended
1/2C granulated sugar
1 gallon water
2 racks ribs

Dissolve salt and sugar in water in stockpot. Submerge ribs in brine and refrigerate
for one hour only. Remove ribs and dry with paper towels.

honestly, it's up to you. personally I don't brine ribs if I'm smoking them....but some do. If I were to do that, I'd prep the brine the day ahead and then put ribs in when it was cold.......but like I said, I don't think it matters too much. the best thing to do is try and try and try again until you find what you personally like best and keep that as your guideline..... (for me, ribs is more in the rub and smoke then anything else.....that's just me thou)

I agree with Bill on this one. It hasn't been my experience that they make much difference with ribs. As long as the cut of meat is good, with a tasty rub, the proper mix of woods, proper time and temp, you can't go wrong.

Yep, just like they said ......... for a long brine (over night) you always want the brine to be cold. If its just for an hour, it aint that big of an issue. You just dont want to start the 'cooking process' with hot brine and then let it cool down.

That brine recipe looks like it needs a BEER added to it! Go for it
icon_evil.gif

Unless you want your ribs to taste like a salt lick, skip it! That's a poultry brine used to add moisture to keep your chicken or turkey from drying out over the low n slow process. Ribs have enough fat to keep em moist while cooking! Just my 25 cents (inflation)
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Sh***T, gas prices start to come down on the east coast .......... and the cost of an opinion sky rockets!
icon_cry.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky