Need an idea for limited ingredient snack stick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

procrastinator

Original poster
Nov 6, 2015
Hi all,

My 8 year old daughter has had Ulcerative Colitis for 4 years and is having trouble putting on enough weight to stay in the normal growth charts.  She is on medication, and recently we have been seeing a nutritionist as well as a eating from a limited ingredient diet.  The nutritionist gave us some ideas to get more fat and protein for her, which included jerky and snack sticks. All of the store-bought and most of the snack stick recipes however include ingredients that are considered a 'no-go' for her diet.   

I need to find a recipe that does not include sugar, honey is OK.

Other ingredients that I have to exclude are milk, any soy products, MSG, and many others, but those are what I've seen in a lot of the recipes.

She is supposed to stay away from nitrates, but that's an impossibility so I'm not too worried about using some pink curing salt.

She is not a fan of things that are too spicy, but I don't want something that is only sweet so will add some fine ground (so that she doesn't see it) black and white pepper. 

Tangy is good but won't have time to order Fermento before my first try, and not sure that she can have that anyway.

I have a large grinder(#12 with stuffer attachments) and a trailer smoker.  Does anyone have a limited ingredient snack stick recipe that they could suggest?

Thanks!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: bigfurmn
P, I  was thinking a garlic stick with some salt/pepper if that isn't too spicy. 80/20 burger with some crushed cloves ?

You are pretty much going to have to make your own spice mix as most of the commercial mixes have some of the "banned" substances in them.   I have a collection of recipes, but 99% of them I've not personally tried so I hate to recommend them.  I suggest you send a PM to NEPAS and ask for recipe advice.  If anyone would have a good one to recommend, it's Rick.  He is the snack stick king around here.

It might take him a bit to reply, I think he is in line in his motor home to evacuate from South Florida so it may be a while before he is back on the internet.

Hmm.. liver is a good source of iron they can eat.. beets and turmeric. Kale and chick peas, lentils . Raw cheese, probiotics. Can't do nuts,seeds,fiber foods,refined sugar.. [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Last edited:
How about snack sticks using ground beef and dates or raisins? All high cal.
I like tahini with chick peas to make that humus dip. With added flavor like roasted red pepper. It's a higher caloric type of food. Not sure if sesame paste is ok though.

Last edited:
Fermento is a whey and milk based product, maybe use some encapsulated citric acid?
Can she have sugar substitutes? like Stevia.

You know what she likes but I'd go with 80/20 beef and some garlic, onion, coriander, white pepper and maybe some celery seed or mustard seed.

If there's a sausage she likes you can just mix it and stuff into a small stick casing. Pepperoni, kielbasa?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll start trying some of the ideas and tweak until we find what she likes.

Try some without pepper also, to see if it makes a difference with her system. There is a lot of variation in what some people can eat and what bothers them.

There are some apps to help track the food and the symptoms to see if there is a correlation.
Fatty, greasy doesn't agree. Chicken sausage made with thighs and some of the skin is good. I've done a breakfast type and it is really good.

I assume you've had her checked for PSC also as they frequently occur together. My sweetie has both. What fun.
The ensure type drinks are frequently dairy based and don't agree. We mostly go for volume and frequent eating.

Dont know which one you liked to use.
Believe it or not I was able to recreate it from a list of ingredients I was writing down for a shopping list. There were only 6 different salamis and snack sticks plus the summer sausage and Krakowska. I eliminated the spices listed that were for the other recipes and the spices left over was for the Nepas snack stick. I am flippin ecstatic because everybody loves the Nepas! Thanks for posting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky