Need advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johndeer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 16, 2014
South Ga
I started two nice fours pound chuck roast Thursday evening at 4:30 at 133 degrees for a 24 hour cook and when I got home from work Friday at 3:30 discovered my Joule had stopped at 9:48 Friday morning because of a power outage.
The temp of the water was 82 degrees.
I restarted and was thinking about going another 12 hours.
Is it safe or do I chunk them and start over?

I am probably the minority here, but I would cook for another 12hrs.

17.5hrs at 133 in a sealed bag. Kind of like canning meat.

You should have reached Pasteurization long before the power went out, 17 hours in, as the surface is the only issue. Considering you are going to Sear it, I see no Safety Issue. Someone more experienced with SV will need to help with the additional cook time...JJ

Reactions: DanMcG and S-met
You should have reached Pasteurization long before the power went out, 17 hours in, as the surface is the only issue. Considering you are going to Sear it, I see no Safety Issue. Someone more experienced with SV will need to help with the additional cook time...JJ
That was exactly my thoughts.
I’ve done quite a few chuck roast sous vide and shared them with other friends and three have bought their own unit .
These things are great

Reactions: S-met
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky