Need Advice - Center cut pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kettlesmoker

Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Dallas, TX
Doing a pork loin today (NOT tenderloin).

How should I season and what temp should I rock it at? Would like savory more than sweet. Not a huge fan of sweet pork

Wrapping a pork loin in bacon always works great! I’d spog it, wrap in bacon, and smoke it at 225-250 until your get to about 130 degrees than crank it up to 350 and pull it at 140 IT. The raise in temp should help you crisp the bacon.

If your not into the bacon just season the way you want and bring it up to 140 IT. Let it rest a half hour or so, and then enjoy!

Good luck
Scott

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't want sweet either. I've used the following for a savory rub that produces great pork and gets great reviews:
  • 1 tbs ground sage
  • 1 tbs lemon pepper (a great starting place for many o' rub)
  • 2 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
Feel free to modify to your liking. I really like sage with pork, hopefully you will as well. I don't particularly like rosemary but it is very subtle and adds a nice dimension to the flavor profile.

Reactions: katemail13
I do pork loin quite a bit, and I use a SPG layer first, and then put a rub on top of that. I have injected some with apple juice mixed with rub, and it has turned out great. I generally use a sweeter rub, but I have used Chris Lily's pork rub and I liked that, too. I smoke it at about 250 to an IT of 140 - 145, and use apple wood or an apple/pecan mix. Chris Lily's rub recipe is:
upload_2018-8-28_14-3-46.png

Reactions: kettlesmoker
I do pork loin quite a bit, and I use a SPG layer first, and then put a rub on top of that. I have injected some with apple juice mixed with rub, and it has turned out great. I generally use a sweeter rub, but I have used Chris Lily's pork rub and I liked that, too. I smoke it at about 250 to an IT of 140 - 145, and use apple wood or an apple/pecan mix. Chris Lily's rub recipe is:
View attachment 374868

I know I said I didn't want sweet, but that rub looks awesome. Thanks!

that rub isn't as sweet as I thought it would be just looking at the ingredients, so you may like it. He also uses an injection for pork with the rub, which I also like, that is made up of:
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-28_14-10-45.png
    upload_2018-8-28_14-10-45.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: kettlesmoker
I use Tonys rub cook most all my pork with apple wood in fact just about everything with apple. 140 - 145 good IT temp. Let rest fo a while before slicing.

Warren

I use my normal pork rub then smoke to 135-140 IT then let rest. You can wrap in bacon but I have found its not needed if you keep control of your temp.

Reactions: chopsaw
Dang it Chili, I just had a Smithfield loin like that last night and researched a recipe to make my own at 1/3 the price. Now you kick up the one you posted before. Very similar, but the other one gives qty of various herbs from dry. Yours however, has some GREAT tips for prep and smoking. My mind is working overtime with this and my belly is getting a little too friendly with my backbone. Now all I need is for loins to go back on sale. Like

Reactions: chilerelleno
Shes on! Went with smokedad smokedad 's rub, plus 2 TB ghost pepper (Texan!). How long should a 4 lb'er take? (I know, til she's done!)

Definitely going to try the herb garlic one on a weekend!

Dang it Chili, I just had a Smithfield loin like that last night and researched a recipe to make my own at 1/3 the price. Now you kick up the one you posted before. Very similar, but the other one gives qty of various herbs from dry. Yours however, has some GREAT tips for prep and smoking. My mind is working overtime with this and my belly is getting a little too friendly with my backbone. Now all I need is for loins to go back on sale. Like
LOL... You're welcome.

I'll tell ya how I generally measure herbs fresh or dry, "I don't, I simply eyeball them."
With fresh I look at what I have as I cut it and think, "Yeah, that's about right."
With dried I select what I want and start shaking it on saying to myself, "Yeah, that's about right."
And if I'm noting what I'm using for posting as a recipe, I'm closely eyeballing the amount not actually measuring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky