Need a new pellet smoker, help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CJDrums

Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Granite Bay, CA
I have had a Traeger Lil Texas 22 for over a decade. It's never been covered and had stood the test of time pretty darn well. About a year and a half ago, it started showing signs of being tired so I used that as an excuse to go out and buy a new smoker. I listened to a friend tell me about Green Mountain and I ran out and bought a Jim Bowie WiFi unit. GMG is said to have excellent customer service and I can very much agree with that. I had several issues and GMG sent me all parts needed to literally replace every mechanical piece on the unit. All of them! I got it all put back together and I instantly had a hopper fire... again. Maybe its me. Many people have had great luck with GMG, I just didn't. The people are fantastic but I was tired of the headache, didn't care for the weird start up and cool down proceedures so I need to move on. Not at all a slam on GMG. I just think I had a bad unit. SO...

I spent $150 on new parts for the old Traeger and will get it running and keep it as a back up but what now? I have been doing tons of reading on pellet smokers and I've never been so confused. Does anyone agree that most import smokers are about the same in quality? Traeger is the king of simple. Turn it on, cook, turn it off. I've looked at several different makes (imports) and the RecTec seems to have the beefiest (pun intended) components of this group. I dig the sear box on the Camp Chef Woodwind but in most of the videos I have watched, it doesn't seem to be any better build quality than the others (cool features though). With so many builders doing direct sales, its hard to see the build quality, ya know? Jump up in price and I like Yoder but on the forums, they're not free of issues either. Mak? Now were getting way up there in price...

Ease of use and build quality. That's what I am looking for. Can you get that in an import unit or am I forced to save more and go the Yoder, Mak, Fast Eddie, Memphis route?

New to the forum, sorry for the long post!

Why don't you want another Traeger? I think they're well built and function well. I've only had mine for a couple months but so far are really like it.

Good catch! I have had mine for about 12 years and it has performed very well. I guess I fell victim to the newer is better, smarter, easier stuff. Maybe sticking with simple is best! Replacing it is an option but my old unit was one of the last old school units that were American made. I do really like Traeger my only concern is a fair amount of "issues" I have read about. Gotta take that stuff for what it is though, talk. I think the more high tech and "smart" they are trying to make these things is just more parts to create issues. Hard to beat an offset stick burner in flavor. No fancy gadgets there. I haven't gone that route simply because of the need to constantly monitor wood/temps. Maybe sticking with Traeger and keeping things as simple as possible is best.

I have the woodwind and love it, have had no issues with is at all. I would also love to get my hands on a Rec Tec and that will probably be the next smoker that a buy down the road.

Maybe sticking with Traeger and keeping things as simple as possible is best.

I think Traegers are fine. The biggest issue I see is that you are paying a premium for the name. For example, compare the Little Tex Elite 22 with the CampChef DLX. The DLX is similar quality, at least $100 less expensive and comes with added features like side shelf, hopper dump, and ash cleanout.

I use a stick burner myself but I have done a lot of looking and reading up on pellet cookers and the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull would be at the top of my list. Several people on here have them and love them and A six year warranty is pretty awesome.

Reactions: CJDrums
Good catch! I have had mine for about 12 years and it has performed very well. I guess I fell victim to the newer is better, smarter, easier stuff. Maybe sticking with simple is best! Replacing it is an option but my old unit was one of the last old school units that were American made. I do really like Traeger my only concern is a fair amount of "issues" I have read about. Gotta take that stuff for what it is though, talk. I think the more high tech and "smart" they are trying to make these things is just more parts to create issues. Hard to beat an offset stick burner in flavor. No fancy gadgets there. I haven't gone that route simply because of the need to constantly monitor wood/temps. Maybe sticking with Traeger and keeping things as simple as possible is best.
When you read about "issues" with Traegers, keep in mind there are more Traegers by far in circulation than any other pellet grill. That's a lot more owners to post complaints. I'm on my 3rd Traeger in about 20 years and have had no complaints (my changing grills was all for upgrade...the two old ones still work fine for the people I sold them to).

When I bought my Traeger I had no idea about the other brands that were available. I don't regret buying it but I wish I had known so I could have checked others out. I got a super deal on mine to so that eases the guilt of the large price tag. Mine had a very small ding in it and the place that was selling it wanted to use it for a demo so I got $250 off for letting it be used for 3 hours and having a dime size ding!

Just went through the same thing then I finally just replaced the 12 year old Traeger controller with a Savannah Stoker upgraded the fan and auger motors,went over to a ceramic igniter and sealed the 1/2in gap at the top of the door and can't believe how well it cooks now. Ugly and rusty yes but a total rebuild was about $400 and by the time shipping, extras and sales tax were added to a new smoker that in my area would be bought sight unseen a cheap alternative.

Own a MAK 1 Star with the Flame Zone, design, how the components and parts of the grill are engineered and overall quality is what sold me on the MAK. The Flame Zone is a game changer IMO, you can see from the pictures how the FZ insert funnels the heat/smoke directly into the cook chamber. The benefits from this besides direct grilling are the grill gets up to temps quicker, recovers faster and is more fuel efficient, MAK estimates saving 15 to 20% in pellet consumption. The devil is in the details.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I think Traegers are fine. The biggest issue I see is that you are paying a premium for the name. For example, compare the Little Tex Elite 22 with the CampChef DLX. The DLX is similar quality, at least $100 less expensive and comes with added features like side shelf, hopper dump, and ash cleanout.

Agreed. I can't believe they charge $1k for the Pro 34. It's very basic and hasn't changed much in years. Many other brands have surpassed Traeger in features and build quality. I'm sure they turn out good food but there are a lot more options now at a better value IMO.

Well, the new controller, interior temp probe, heat shield and hot rod are installed in “old faithful”. She’s back up and running. Just burning off the oils on the heat shield and putting on a TriTip.

Reactions: Thebutscher
I absolutely love my Yoder. Keeps temp solid as a rock and can get hot enough to Gill. It is also built like a tank.

20180102_172710.jpg
20180517_171238.jpg

12 years ago they were built in Mt Angel, OR. Now, like others, they are made overseas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky