Need a Good Rub For Pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danboz811

Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
I need a good rub for pork butt and pork ribs don’t mind a little spice but not burning my mouth after a few bites. If anyone can recommend something I would greatly appreciate it.

These are some good ones for pork or chicken. Can also make your own.
20200116_192143.jpg

Reactions: zwiller
Hard to go wrong with Chilerellanos basic pork rub, you can find it right here.

Works for butts, ribs, or just about anything goes on a smoker that involves dead pig meat. Try it, you'll like it. I tried it and liked it, it works great! RAY

Jeffs is quite good. used it for years. I am tying to branch out and try others.... gonna watch this thread for new ideas.

I've come to salt , pepper and smoke . Sometimes I'll sprinkle a low salt / no salt rub on the meat after it's pulled .

I have a few I have purchased and have found them all the be pretty tasty too. for pork i usually look for a sweeter rub.

I need a good rub for pork butt and pork ribs don’t mind a little spice but not burning my mouth after a few bites. If anyone can recommend something I would greatly appreciate it.
Not sure if this gets to you to late but here it is anyways:
3 oz Diamond Crystal Salt
3 oz Restaurant style Black Pepper
2 oz Smoked Paprika
2 oz Granulated Garlic
2 oz Granulated Onion
1 oz Ground Mustard
1.5 oz Cayenne Pepper

I have also added about 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar if you are looking for more bark but is a personal preference. I recommend NOT wasting your time with rubbing oil or mustard for a rub to stick, it's a waste. Mix ingredients, rub generously, wrap in Saran wrap and put in the fridge for at least 12-24 hours.

Enjoy....

Reactions: 2008RN
+1 to Jeff's. With it, you will learn to tweak and then ultimately build your own. However, no rub will compare to the results of injecting. Wish someone told me that years ago. Last butt I ran I didn't even use a rub.

Reactions: 2008RN
This is my GoTo all purpose rub...JJ

Cajun Rib Tickler

1C Tubinado or Dried Brown Sugar*
1/4C Paprika**
2T Kosher Salt
2T Garlic Powder
2T Onion Powder
2T Mustard Powder
2T Chili Powder
2tsp Black Pepper
1-2tsp Cayenne
2tsp Dry Oregano
2tsp Dry Thyme
2tsp Cry Celery Flakes
1tsp Celery Seed

Grind the Oregano, Thyme, Celery Flake and Seed. Mix all and store in air tight container, up to 3 months...

Notes...* Leave out the Sugar for a Cajun Blackening Spice. Spinkle a lot or a little, on whatever meat, dip in melted Butter or Olive oil and saute in a very hot pan until cooked to your desired IT.

** If you wish you can use Smoked Paprika in the recipe. This will give a seasoning that will add some "Smokey flavor" to Grilled, Sauteed, Fried or Roasted meat, not just stuff you smoke.

Mix and store in an air tight container...JJ

Reactions: yankee2bbq
For pork butts, i like Lowery's season salt. It makes a great bark and seasons the meat well. you can get a ton of it from sams club for like 8 bucks!

For ribs i have used Butcher's BBQ wild cherry or savory pecan seasonings . Weber makes a couple good ones: chicken n rib rub or garlic wild honey rub. and i am a recent convert to Jeff's rub!

IMG_20180410_081709.jpg

81Y3ts9rZLL._SL1500_.jpg

For sauce: Jeff's sauce is good with a kick, i also have a recipe for candy apple red...adjust to taste..

1/4 stick margarine or butter
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
1/4 cup apple juice (optional)
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
3 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
let sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can spice it up with cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

First time I injected I just used apple juice and was immediately hooked. It made the meat very fresh smelling and reduced the gaminess or what I call "oink" :emoji_laughing:. Then, over one spring I smoked 8 butts one at a time for daughters grad party and slowly built developed one based on Mixon's but with added STPP. What's different about mine is that is used by weight.

I make up a big batch of Amazing Rib's "Memphis Dust Rib Rub". Then I make a light salt brine with 1 can of frozen apple juice concentrate, sprinkle the butt well with the dust and put it in the brine for 24 hours. Take butt out for brine, pat dry, add a generous coating of dust and then smoke til done. For ribs, just sprinkle with dust, salt lightly and then smoke.
Rarely have left overs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky