Nduja Bruschetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
So the other day, I happened to read about Nduja which is a spreadable salume made with Calabrian peppers.

Little did I know, I had this stuff sitting in my fridge since November. It was like finding a $20 in your winter coat! So I just had to try it!!

I got the Nduja from a friend who works at Citterio meats. It was sitting in a drawer with an assortment of other goodies. Man, I’m glad I opened this stuff, it’s insanely good! Spicy, salty, a good peppery bite.

Best of all, it became dinner without me having to buy anything. I used what I had on hand to make a Nduja Bruschetta.

Nduja
5045D955-CD46-43D5-9071-457053FDAC1E.jpeg

A sliced shot. Since it’s a higher fat content, it’s spreadable. I’m looking forward to be able to cook with it.
F77337B7-4646-464A-A463-D8434E9B5587.jpeg

When I went home for my lunch break, I started to marinate the tomatoes and onions. This way everything had a chance to mingle and I wasn’t making it last minute.

Three roma tomatoes were cleaned, salted and placed in a colander to draw out the extra juices. Combine diced tomatoes with 1 small to medium diced onion. Add 3 parts garlic infused EVOO to 1 part balasmic vinegar (3T EVOO 1T Balsamic). Add black pepper and basil. I didn’t have fresh available so I used a little bit of dried basil.
09B20A56-F651-42AC-9431-5F7F2CE352AD.jpeg

Once home at dinnertime, I grilled day old Italian loaf bread and rubbed the slices with a fresh cut garlic clove.

Then spread the Nduja
FFE52454-ED13-4B66-8966-88BAFA775E7D.jpeg

And serve
05D5A878-59BB-425C-BADC-E79BF9F07C24.jpeg

3CFD7939-8C6C-4A54-BC54-528D5AB0DBCF.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Joe

I have absolutely no idea of what this is, but if it's different take on salami then I'd be game to try it. It does look good Joe.

Point for sure
Chris

Last edited:
Hell yeah Joe you killed that one man! Simple yet looks like something you would order at a five star restaurant as an appetizer. BIG LIKE brother!

I never heard of that before but it sure looks good from where I'm sittin', Like! RAY

Thats actually a great idea. Looks awesome. I should try it this way...i am not crazy about nduja on a cold slice of bread, but this would work.

I also recommend nduja rillette

I have absolutely no idea of what this is, but if it's different take on salami then I'd be game to try it. It does look good Joe.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris. Best way I could describe it is imagine pepperoni with the flavor turned up to 10 and a taste of hot fresh pepper and it spreads like peanut butter.

I’m looking forward to cooking with it.

Hell yeah Joe you killed that one man! Simple yet looks like something you would order at a five star restaurant as an appetizer. BIG LIKE brother!

Thanks John! It was super simple, since I got the tomatoes going during lunch, the longest part about it was grilling the bread.

I just had the wife pull it out of the fridge about an hour before I got home. Don’t care for cold bruschetta. This appetizer was my entire meal....I just couldn’t eat another bowl of turkey sweet potato chili!

got to say I never heard of it Joe, but it does look tasty.

I never heard of that before but it sure looks good from where I'm sittin', Like! RAY

Thanks guys,I didn’t really know what it was until two days ago, I should probably pay more attention to what’s in the beer fridge.

Never heard of it either, but it sure looks tasty! Maybe I should check my beer fridge!

Thats actually a great idea. Looks awesome. I should try it this way...i am not crazy about nduja on a cold slice of bread, but this would work.

I also recommend nduja rillette

Thanks for the heads up Atomic, I’m not sure if I would ever attempt to make it. Do you make it a lot?

I hear ya on the cold bread. I assembled this as soon as the bread was pulled from the grill. I had my wife pull the bruschetta mixture about an hour before I got home from work since I dislike it cold from the reefer. I actually meant to shave some parmesan on top but was in such a hurry to eat it that I forgot.

I thought the bruschetta worked out well with it. The acidity from the tomatoes and balsamic really balanced out with the fattiness of the oil and nduja....but I really, really like bruschetta and would probably eat it off myself.

Damn Joe...that looks absolutely fantastic. Like so many others here, I've never eaten it but I'd sure go after some of that with a vengeance!! Beautiful job my friend!!

Maybe I should check my beer fridge!

Uh...that should be a no-brainer: BEER!!

Got my dedicated kegorator and overflow single beers go into a different fridge.
Robert

Damn Joe...that looks absolutely fantastic. Like so many others here, I've never eaten it but I'd sure go after some of that with a vengeance!! Beautiful job my friend!!

Got my dedicated kegorator and overflow single beers go into a different fridge.
Robert
Oh, I know that's in there! trust me on that!

good stuff
i made some a couple years ago.

Thanks Rick, I really enjoyed it. Not sure if I would attempt to make it. I could probably get this stuff on the regular from Citterio. Do you remember them from the NEPA days?

They actually built a huge expansion on their factory dedicated solely to prosciutto.

Never heard of it either, but it sure looks tasty! Maybe I should check my beer fridge!

Robert

Thanks guys, lol. Maybe I have too much beer in there that it obstructs my view!

That is a beautiful plating of food! I’d love to taste it for sure. I’d never heard of it before. Big like!! The more I read of the ingredients and flavor profile of Nduja the more I feel I must order some!

The more I read of the ingredients and flavor profile of Nduja the more I feel I must order some!

Jeff....give me a bit of time to research it and I'll see if I can make some. Don't have a clue right now but I'll try to figure it out pretty quick. If I can get it done I'll freeze some, pack it in ice blocks, and send it to you. Heck, depending on what's in it. I may not have to freeze, just put on ice.

Robert

I too have never heard of it but then so I'm an old man. You have surely introduced me to something new and I would for sure give it a try. Ask SFLsmrk1 if he has a recipe that he will post being he has made some.

Warren

Jeff....give me a bit of time to research it and I'll see if I can make some. Don't have a clue right now but I'll try to figure it out pretty quick. If I can get it done I'll freeze some, pack it in ice blocks, and send it to you. Heck, depending on what's in it. I may not have to freeze, just put on ice.

Robert
I ordered some off Amazon before I saw this!! Lol, Will be here Saturday. Will let you know how it is. Was like $12 for 5.5 oz.

I ordered some off Amazon before I saw this!! Lol, Will be here Saturday. Will let you know how it is. Was like $12 for 5.5 oz.

Please do let me know how it is. I'll probably order some if you say it's at least decent then will most likely come up with my own version....but that probably doesn't surprise you :emoji_astonished:

Always better if you make it yourself,
Robert

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky