Natural casing hot dogs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondo

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Terrell, TX
My brother used to send me hot dogs from the Michigan/Indiana border town of Elkhart, Indiana. The hot dogs were possibly Eckrich but unsure as they were sold a out of the meat counter at a store up there. I just got them as dogs vacuum packed by my brother, frozen and mailed to me in Texas.

At one time Eckrich sold them here and I bought them here but they stopped selling them in Texas for some reason. The ones my brother got me tasted exactly the same.

My brother is no longer with us and I am out of the dogs I had in my last shipment from him.

Is there anyone up in that neck of the woods that could tell me what the stores are selling and how I can get some? My brother said everyone around him called them knockers for some unknown reason. They were regular bun size and came 4-6 per string. He would send me anywhere from 20-50 pounds based on the price he could get.

If anyone can help me get some, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks, I wonder if the store would ship them to Texas. I think that is going to be my biggest problem, getting a place that will package and ship to me. I will look the Meijer store up and give them a call. Hopefully they are willing to help me out.

Thanks for the help, we will see how it goes.

Bob

Eckrich natural casing dogs are sold on line by stanleysmarketstore.com...
And yes sir, I agree they are some mighty fine dogs.
The ones I purchase are as you describe; bun sized and and about 6 per tied link.
Hope this helps you out.
You might also try a Google search...last I bought were not inexpensive...

Walt

Thanks guys. Looking at the prices and shipping I am going to try to just be happy with the memories. I'm pretty disappointed, there is no way I can get them at those prices and then ship to Texas.

I understand what you're saying , but all kinds of good hot dogs out there .

brother said everyone around him called them knockers for some unknown reason.

Could be they were knockwurst...

Numerous varieties of knackwurst exist in Germany; all differ from Austrian knackwurst.[how?][citation needed]

As a specialty in Hamburg, scalded Knackwurst served with mustard and half a slice of white bread is a popular snack for lunch. It is also sold at the Hamburger Dom, the largest Volksfest in northern Germany, under various names like Domknacker, Hamburger Knacker, or Hafenlümmel (literally: harbour tyke).[5]

Etymology and pronunciation[edit]
The German noun Knackwurst—which, in English, is sometimes corrupted as knockwurst—comes from the German verb knacken ( listen (help·info)) ("to crack") or the adjective knackig ( listen (help·info)) ("crisp"). This refers to the swelling of the sausage during the process of cooking, so that the skin becomes pressurized and balloon-like, and tends to "pop," often exploding the juices, when bitten into (authentic example: listen (help·info)). The term ″Knackwurst″ came up in Germany the middle of the 16th century.[6] In Germany, all different kinds of Knackwürste are abbreviated Knacker

Thanks for the help guys. The Dearborn link appeared to be the thing at first but.....................

One package of 24 dogs is $14.49 which is pretty good but add in the shipping of $44.25 and you pay a total of $58.74.
2 packages are $28.98 then with shipping of $54.56 it goes to $83.54
3 packages are $43.47 then with shipping of $64.42 it goes to $107.89
4 packages are $57.96 then with shipping of $73.75 it goes to $131.71
5 packages are $72.45 then with shipping of $82.71 it goes to $155.16

I checked on a large order to offset the shipping charges but i would have to spend $200 just to match the shipping and dog costs. That is 2nd day air shipping which is the lowest shipping cost, next day sir the shipping is doubled.

I really like the dogs but can't justify it when the shipping is added in.

https://dearbornbrand.com They sell natural casing hot dogs that are just as good if not better as the Vienna hot dog by Koegel.

I agree. Koegel's are pretty good, Kowalski is better, but Dearborn brand is over the top awesome.

Thanks for the help guys. The Dearborn link appeared to be the thing at first but.....................

One package of 24 dogs is $14.49 which is pretty good but add in the shipping of $44.25 and you pay a total of $58.74.
2 packages are $28.98 then with shipping of $54.56 it goes to $83.54
3 packages are $43.47 then with shipping of $64.42 it goes to $107.89
4 packages are $57.96 then with shipping of $73.75 it goes to $131.71
5 packages are $72.45 then with shipping of $82.71 it goes to $155.16

I checked on a large order to offset the shipping charges but i would have to spend $200 just to match the shipping and dog costs. That is 2nd day air shipping which is the lowest shipping cost, next day sir the shipping is doubled.

I really like the dogs but can't justify it when the shipping is added in.

How many packages are wanting Hondo? I may have a solution for you.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky