Naked Chicken Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Noahjb

Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Is chicken flavorful enough to smoke naked... no rub, no sauce? I would likely brine it as they always turn out juicier that way. I think it would be fun to try different wood types over a few solo cooks to get a pure understanding of how each impacts the food. Chicken seems like the best option from a timing and cost perspective.

Note, I prefer beer butts over spatchcocks. Typically smoke my chickens around 240-250 to 170 IT.

Thoughts?

I have tried this and i used fruit woods. Depending on how long the brine process is the bird will turn out pretty flavorless.

That temp is what I use for my birds.

I just did up a pack of legs and thighs naked with mesquite chips.

Came out excellent - smoke flavor penetrated almost all the way to the bone.

Cooked for 2 hours at avg. temp of 215 - IT of 160

I usually brine 16-18hrs, but no less than 12hrs.

Good to know GVL. How would you compare those results vs one where you used a dry rub?

Caged chickens have very little flavor and need all the help they can get... I realize, what we do to them is "artificial" flavoring compared to free range... BUT... what's a guy to do... put a dead chicken on a tread mill for 50 miles or so ???
I brush the skin with Parkay and a heavy dose of Costco poultry seasoning... the inside has veggie stock, salt 2% and sugar 1% in about a 10% pump.... lately I've been adding cure#1 at 1 tsp. per 5#'s bird weight.. adds some good flavor... usually add STPP at 0.4% to keep it moist....
Comes out some darn good yardbird...

Last edited:
This probably isn't the greatest pic - but this is the results of the 1st smoke run!

20171227_190159.jpg

Is chicken flavorful enough to smoke naked... no rub, no sauce? I would likely brine it as they always turn out juicier that way. I think it would be fun to try different wood types over a few solo cooks to get a pure understanding of how each impacts the food. Chicken seems like the best option from a timing and cost perspective.

Note, I prefer beer butts over spatchcocks. Typically smoke my chickens around 240-250 to 170 IT.

Thoughts?

One way to find out. Cook cook up a bunch of chicken pieces and have each one rubbed down differently. If using different pieces then I would do at least two of each one bare and one rubbed. That way you can tell which you like better. You can repeat and try with different woods also. I like grilled chicken with no rub/sauce as long as the skin is crispy. Haven't tried it smoked yet.

That’s a good idea to do mixed pieces, some rubbed and some naked. Think that is what I’ll try, and if successful will test with different woods.

As for the skin, I usually only eat about 25% of it so it doesn’t bother me when it isnt super crisp. That said, I’ll eat 100% when the skin is perfectly crisp .

Have tried the method of smoking for an hour and then throwing on a hot grill to crisp up. Didn’t really work for me. Although I didn’t go straight from smoker to grill... they were fridges for about 6 hrs in between.

Caged chickens have very little flavor and need all the help they can get... I realize, what we do to them is "artificial" flavoring compared to free range... BUT... what's a guy to do... put a dead chicken on a tread mill for 50 miles or so ???
I brush the skin with Parkay and a heavy dose of Costco poultry seasoning... the inside has veggie stock, salt 2% and sugar 1% in about a 10% pump.... lately I've been adding cure#1 at 1 tsp. per 5#'s bird weight.. adds some good flavor... usually add STPP at 0.4% to keep it moist....

You do injection with brine solution and wet brine day before?
Edit:
Just put A 4.5 lb bird in a brine. Gallon of water 1 Tbsp DQ cure. 3/4 cup kosher and sugar. 4 to 5 thyme sprigs. 4 smashed garlic cloves. Cracked black.
Injected 4 oz of the brine into bird. Will cook tomorrow evening to 165° with Apple chunks

Last edited:

I tried the poultry seasoning but not heavy. Some other seasoning also.
Was real good flavors.. was afraid poultry seasoning would come through bigger. Was nice. And I recommend using a little cure in a brine if you have it.. 1st time trying it myself. It was the softest Bird ever. Juicy as can be. 15 to 18 hrs in brine was all. I also injected the thick parts a little. Probably wouldn't need to if you brine 1 to 3 days .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky