n00b from Nebraska

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

summersolstice

Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Central Nebraska
Hi from Central Nebraska. When I say new, I really mean new! I have a gas grill but I've never smoked anything and I'd like to start. I'm a home winemaker and coffee roaster and I see meat smoking as a natural progression in the DIY world of culinary enjoyment.

I'm looking at the site and I'm sure there's someone here that can help with any question I may have. Right now I'm browsing and searching old threads in an attempt to find a first smoker. I instinctively believe that fire does the best job but I'm open to electricity so I'll just continue looking and see if I can find a consensus. There's a Cabelas here where I live so, along with WallyWorld and the local Menard's (similar to Home Depot), I'm sure to find something suitable for a beginner.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the SMF!! You can use a Weber kettle, one of the virtical charcoal cheap smokers (I have a Charboil, with mods) or a Brinkman. If you want to start cheap go with one of those.

Welcome to SMF. Check out the 5 day ecourse. Alot of good info there. You will definitly learn alot from here. Alot of good friendly people eager to help out newbies. All you got to do is just ASK.

Welcome to the SMF. I'm sure you will get lots of help making your decision about a smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
and getting started. I'm just getting started also and have found lots of help on these forums.

Steve

Hello and welcome tot he SMF, wher friendly folks gather to share good smokes and Q too! Take your time and research for your smoker.. but remember that usually we all add/change/upgrade to another smoker , somewhere, sometime, down the line. It's all good.

welcome to SMF! I always recommend an ECB for starting. It's cheap, AND it works!

It'll teach ya fire building, temp control, and all the basic core principles of smoking. It'll do several slabs or a few butts. There's a few mods for it to cut your teeth on modding/building smokers.

It's an all-around workhorse and good investment.

Enjoy!

Welcome Summersoltice, As you are starting to see there are friendly people in ths forum, ask the questions and someone will aswer back

Welcome to the SMF!! The links to the left can help you!! Be sure to check out the 5 day ecourse! its free and packed full of great info!! I have a Char griller Pro with some mods and love it... plan on building bigger/better soon... and the questions are always welcome and usually get a pretty fast response!! This place is full of some great-friendly folks!!

Welcome to SMF! It looks like you're already getting some good advice about a starter smoker. What right for you depends upon your budget, how much time you are willing to devote to tending a fire and a variety of other things. I use an electric which needs a minimal amount of attention while smoking, and that works well for me.

Welcome to the site.Pretty much what Rich say's-I have a char-broil with a 1000 watt hotplate I stick in the bottem when I want electric but at times can't get my temps up so looking to do a further mod on it.Also have a ECB that I will be playing with soon.For the price they are the way to get going till u get a few smokes under your belt. Good luck and have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky