MYPIN PID TA4 Controller for electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Frankyvee

Original poster
Jan 29, 2022
Sorry if this has been asked. I'm new to the forum and tried searching for an answer to my question and did not see any so I decided to post this. Is there anyone on here using a MYPIN PID on their smoker? I have an analog MasterBuilt electric smoker and the thermostat that it came with is crap. It has like a 30 degree swing. So I just built a PID controller using the MYPIN TA4 model to control temperature with tighter tolerances. I was looking for the best settings to use on the PID to use for smoking on an electric smoker. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the settings in the menu and the chinese instructions are not much help since they are poorly translated. I have tried using the P I D settings and Autotune function and seems like it is still swinging. Let me know if anyone has experience with the settings and what you found to be the best settings for smoking for example a brisket at 225 F for ~8 -12 hours or till 203F internal temp is reached. I like to wrap the brisket when it reaches 170 F and put it back in till 203 F then pull it off and rest it for an hour wrapped.

I used the PID for my electric brew system, just did an auto tune for boil temps. You should be able to do an auto tune for a specific temp while using the smoker. Just be sure it has an average load in it. Tuning while empty won't give you good results.

Reactions: Frankyvee
Sorry if this has been asked. I'm new to the forum and tried searching for an answer to my question and did not see any so I decided to post this. Is there anyone on here using a MYPIN PID on their smoker? I have an analog MasterBuilt electric smoker and the thermostat that it came with is crap. It has like a 30 degree swing. So I just built a PID controller using the MYPIN TA4 model to control temperature with tighter tolerances. I was looking for the best settings to use on the PID to use for smoking on an electric smoker. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the settings in the menu and the chinese instructions are not much help since they are poorly translated. I have tried using the P I D settings and Autotune function and seems like it is still swinging. Let me know if anyone has experience with the settings and what you found to be the best settings for smoking for example a brisket at 225 F for ~8 -12 hours or till 203F internal temp is reached. I like to wrap the brisket when it reaches 170 F and put it back in till 203 F then pull it off and rest it for an hour wrapped.
Hi there and welcome!

I built a PID controller for a digital MES40 not too long ago and factory settings worked fine but the MES is insulated super well. Here are the settings and here is the post if u want to read it all:

Factory settings of P=3, I=210, and D=0 worked fine in my MES40.

Let me know if your settings are far off from that?

I used the PID for my electric brew system, just did an autotune for boil temps. You should be able to do an auto tune for a specific temp while using the smoker. Just be sure it has an average load in it. Tuning while empty won't give you good results.
Thank you for the quick reply lonzinomaker. That makes sense on running Autotune while the smoker is actually smoking something. I have been running and testing with Autotune with nothing loaded in the smoker. Now that you mentioned that putting a load in it makes a lot of sense since adding mass will definitely change the PID parameters required.

Hi there and welcome!

I built a PID controller for a digital MES40 not too long ago and factory settings worked fine but the MES is insulated super well. Here are the settings and here is the post if u want to read it all:

Factory settings of P=3, I=210, and D=0 worked fine in my MES40.

Let me know if your settings are far off from that?
Thank You, Tallbm

Reactions: tallbm
Thank you for the quick reply lonzinomaker. That makes sense on running Autotune while the smoker is actually smoking something. I have been running and testing with Autotune with nothing loaded in the smoker. Now that you mentioned that putting a load in it makes a lot of sense since adding mass will definitely change the PID parameters required.
DefinitIy need a heat sink while autotuning.I installed a PID in my Smokin-It smoker and just used a couple of bricks and had a soup can full of water in the bottom while running the Autotune. Can't remember why the water, (was in the instructions) but it all worked out great!

Attachments

• standup beercanchicken2.jpeg
    standup beercanchicken2.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 11
View attachment 523820

Ran another Auto Tune with water container filled and smoked a chicken. This is what Auto Tune gave me: P=5.22, I=188, D=47....Worked out great.. I was + or - one degree the whole time.
Yep that probably works a lot better.
Those numbers are very close to the ones I use in my MES.
I expect that since you are running an Analog Masterbuilt that the numbers would be different but good to see they are still close.

Thanks for posting those as we don't have too many Mypin TA4 settings out there. Heck we don't have many pid numbers out there period even for Auber PIDs.

Welcome to the PID world and to amazing BBQ u will be making now :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky