Myosin without salt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DinkyDoodleDoo

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I'm now on a low-sodium diet, so all my delicious sausage is in the danger zone as far as my doctor is concerned. I tried making some breakfast sausage without adding any salt, and although I guess I could get used to the taste, I couldn't get a decently sticky bowl of meat no matter how much I worked it. The end result wasn't terribly dry or crumbly, but it could have been better.

Any tips for a low-sodium sausage? Is there a lower limit for salt content that will still allow a good product? Would some sort of thickener like guar gum help?

Try using lean dark red meat, it will have more protein and grinding thru a small plate with help in extracting the proteins, then add in the fat and mix it up good. I don't think you can do it with no salt but a lower amount is worth a try.
I'd cut back the salt a little at a time till you still get a bind you can live with. You could also cut the portion size down for less salt intake....Nah... that ain't happening.

Try using lean dark red meat, it will have more protein and grinding thru a small plate with help in extracting the proteins, then add in the fat and mix it up good. I don't think you can do it with no salt but a lower amount is worth a try.
I'd cut back the salt a little at a time till you still get a bind you can live with. You could also cut the portion size down for less salt intake....Nah... that ain't happening.
Could you add a protein powder supplement?

I'm now on a low-sodium diet, so all my delicious sausage is in the danger zone as far as my doctor is concerned.

Any tips for a low-sodium sausage? Is there a lower limit for salt content that will still allow a good product? Would some sort of thickener like guar gum help?

I'm confused..... Did you give your doctor your sausage recipe ??? Did he calculate the sodium content in your sausage recipe ???
I'm thinking the answer is no....
So, how does he know your sausage is in the danger zone ??

Reactions: Fueling Around
You can add easily extractable protein like eggs. This will enhance the bind with minimal salt. the texture will be a little rubbery if you use more than 1 egg per 5# of meat though....

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky