• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Myosin without salt?

Joined Nov 4, 2019
I'm now on a low-sodium diet, so all my delicious sausage is in the danger zone as far as my doctor is concerned. I tried making some breakfast sausage without adding any salt, and although I guess I could get used to the taste, I couldn't get a decently sticky bowl of meat no matter how much I worked it. The end result wasn't terribly dry or crumbly, but it could have been better.

Any tips for a low-sodium sausage? Is there a lower limit for salt content that will still allow a good product? Would some sort of thickener like guar gum help?

SWFLsmkr1

Formerly 'SFLsmkr1'
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Why not try some nu salt, no salt or mortons salt substitute?

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I've tried using no sodium "salt" substitutes and found they add a bitter flavor.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Try using lean dark red meat, it will have more protein and grinding thru a small plate with help in extracting the proteins, then add in the fat and mix it up good. I don't think you can do it with no salt but a lower amount is worth a try.
I'd cut back the salt a little at a time till you still get a bind you can live with. You could also cut the portion size down for less salt intake....Nah... that ain't happening.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Try using lean dark red meat, it will have more protein and grinding thru a small plate with help in extracting the proteins, then add in the fat and mix it up good. I don't think you can do it with no salt but a lower amount is worth a try.
I'd cut back the salt a little at a time till you still get a bind you can live with. You could also cut the portion size down for less salt intake....Nah... that ain't happening.
Could you add a protein powder supplement?

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I'm now on a low-sodium diet, so all my delicious sausage is in the danger zone as far as my doctor is concerned.

Any tips for a low-sodium sausage? Is there a lower limit for salt content that will still allow a good product? Would some sort of thickener like guar gum help?
I'm confused..... Did you give your doctor your sausage recipe ??? Did he calculate the sodium content in your sausage recipe ???
I'm thinking the answer is no....
So, how does he know your sausage is in the danger zone ??

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
You can add easily extractable protein like eggs. This will enhance the bind with minimal salt. the texture will be a little rubbery if you use more than 1 egg per 5# of meat though....

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Salt is necessary to extract the myosin...

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.