My weird story of going from well done steak to medium.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

megabrisket

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
So for a long time when I'd eat steak I'd get well done. Just something about the pink and "blood" that's not actually blood, rubbed me the wrong way. Then someone made a comment to me about my fried eggs when we were having breakfast. "So you like the yokes runny?" "Indeed I do, I like dipping my sausage, bacon, toast, whatever in the yokes." "So you'll eat "un-cooked egg but the same concept doesn't apply to steak?" Mind blown! So the last time I was at a nice place I took the plunge and ordered a filet done medium, that's how the chef recommended it. I have to say it was quite good. It was tender and warm and delicious. I'll probably stick with medium from now on. I was told rare is much more juicy but usually not very warm and well, I still want my meat warm lol. Anyways, that's my weird story of going from well done to medium. On a side note, I don't get why some people are so crazy about how others eat their meat. I admit, I like medium and could probably go med-rare but if someone else wants well done, charred, whatever, hey it's their money let them eat it how they want. :)

Congrats on coming around to the way steak is suppose to be. Next time you try well done you will really tell the difference. Well done is not as tender and much more chewy. My wife use to be the same way until I finally got her to try it now she never gets well done. I prefer med rare.

If you want well done order chicken!!!!

Reactions: megabrisket
I go for medium. If I end up rare. Still good to me. Some meats are not supposed to be cooked till they are gray chewy and dry. But thats what some people like. So be it. Not me eating it. I also will do Moo. And if you have to ask what Moo is. You probably don't want it.

My Story is very similar to buckaholics. The shebeast was disgusted with having meat "bleed" on her plate, but constantly complained of dry/tough steak if well done.. Finally I took my life in my own hands and told her to just close her eyes and eat it. Juicy, tender and tasty. I found a decent rest before cutting helped a bit with bleeding on the plate and suddenly life is good.

Lol my wife was the same way. She used to get it done well done, and after time and some convincing, she orders/cooks steaks MR. will even eat rare, but not her favourite.

Trends that start in restaurants frequently make their way to the public. Chefs/Owners started refusing to make well done steak because all to frequently customers would eat a portion and send it back as too dry and tough. This is not really new. Dad told of taking his new bride to a nice steakhouse in 1958. The restaurant owner came over to take the order. Dad ordered his usual med/rare and Mom ordered Filet mignon well done. The owner gave Mom a stern look and said, " If you want to eat dried out shoe leather? There is a truck stop up the road..." Dad asked if med/well would be acceptable and an accord was reached. Took a few years for Dad to bring Mom around to eating beef cooked to medium.
Pink Pork was my battle as the Greatest Generation grew up on the horror stories of the painful death brought on by eating undercooked Pork...JJ

I like my steaks med rare while the better half still likes to see the nerves twitching in hers. Growing up I would put a piece of white bread on the cutting board after mom was done cooking and cutting the family steak. After the bread soaked up all the juices I'd eat it. Juicy bread or blood bread it was referred to.

Chris

91FDD215-2A1B-4916-95C3-71806DC48685.jpeg
Medium to med rare for me. Reminds me of hank hill:D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky