My USA Shopping List...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlol

Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Europe
So I am a beginner smoker looking to get started. The bad thing is I live in Europe and the supplies for smokers are either alot less common (smoking only exists on a small scale here), or really expensive (also Euro to Dollar conversion is still in my favor at the moment). Good news, as you all know here, is that most of the stuff you can build yourself anyways.

That being said, I will be back home in AZ over Christmas to visit the family and I always come with a big fat extra suitcase to load up. This year I plan to load up on any important items related to smoking or building a smoker. I thought I would post to see what some of the more experienced guys say are some essentials that would make sense to bring back in my luggage. For a bit more info, i'm looking at doing electric smoking primarily beef jerky.

So far this is what I want to bring back on the plane:

1. An AMNS to eventually put on top of a hot plate to pellet smoke my jerky.
2. Any literature I may not have already (reccomendations welcome, already have Backyard BBQ, Smoking meat, and "Jerky" by A.D. Livingston).
3. Maybe some high quality meat slicing knives? Knife sharpener?

4. Perhaps a good thermometer (havent researched this yet, so reccomendations welcome. Do they have any with remotes/wifi connected)?

Thanks alot friends!

Last edited:
Make sure that knife doesnt end up in your carry on or it will be long gone.

You want a fillet knife thats cheap as dirt but is my favorite knife? I actually have two, one is made by the fishing company rapala, has a wood handle. Ive had this knife 15+ years. The other is made by bass pro. It sells for $3... both awesome cheap knives.

A sharpener is a prospect which I find best comes with diamonds and a leather strop. Its really an art.

If you want another great knife look at Havalon. I wouldnt trade my havalons for anything unless it was more money to buy more havalons. They are a replacement blade knife, that is based on a scalpel. I have over 100 replacement blades for mine. http://www.havalon.com/ . I carry the piranta in the field hunting. It does all my work short of separating joints.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky