My UDS finally finished

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knox29

Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
I just came across the site and like what I see so I decided to join and post. I started with a 1200.00 Traeger smoker and let me just say what a pos. I gladly returned it to Costco everything was burnt and dry. I had never had this problem in the past than I realized the cheap digital temp gauge was at 375 degrees even though it was set at smoke. I decided to go back to the basics and build my UDS. I bought a used orange juice barrel from Craigslist for 15.00 and had it blasted and powdercoated for 85.00. I ordered the Big Poppa Smoker kit for 139.99 and 4 hours later I was smoking. Total cost of build 239.99 and let me just say this thing cooks flawless. It will hold steady at 225 degrees on a basket of charcoal for about 7-8 hours and the food is outstanding. Never again will I buy a smoker I will just keep building my own.  
0bf40f94_1069980_680233042002136_1809112485_n.jpg
fef3dddc_1000519_683508595007914_237128778_n.jpg

Yes taking on vacation in Lake Tahoe will be smoking 10 days straight. Thanks for the compliment.

I love my Big Poppa too! Beautiful paint job! I'll get around to powder coating eventually.

This will be one of the best smokers you'll ever own! Smoke and sear... Smoke and sear!

Mine will do 16 hours on lump@ 250.. Yours will do more, ours have identical parts. Keith

The high heat powder coat I have to choose from is black and silver... 1100 degree or any color 600 degree. What temp range is yours? I'd love to hear how yours holds up so I can decide which color to do!

I love my Big Poppa too! Beautiful paint job! I'll get around to powder coating eventually.

This will be one of the best smokers you'll ever own! Smoke and sear... Smoke and sear!

Mine will do 16 hours on lump@ 250.. Yours will do more, ours have identical parts. Keith
I am going to buy lump for Tahoe because I want to do my Brisket at about 14 hours and don't want to keep adding charcoal. What kind or brand of lump do you use ?

The high heat powder coat I have to choose from is black and silver... 1100 degree or any color 600 degree. What temp range is yours? I'd love to hear how yours holds up so I can decide which color to do!
I used standard because all they had was black in hi heat than I had to go to ceramic which was around 800.00. I was told by the owner of the powdercoat company 400-450 and it will blister. I have had it to almost 500 with no problems but for a very short time so to be on the safe side I light my basket outside the uds than put inside once it calms down. I have 8 smokes on it so far and it holds up great but I keep it between 225-325 degrees.
07308086_1003135_680228662002574_1115112115_n.jpg

I use cowboy for now because it was on sale but normally I've used Royal Oak. I use my PITMASTERIQ on longer smokes though... It helps the fuel efficiency by managing the air. Alot of the time I'll do manual with vents though. I put in a 3/4 ball valve and used 3/4 pitmaster adapter.

WOW nice uds.

It would have taken me 3 years to make one like that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky