My try at smoking and spinning a Duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
After reading SmokinAl SmokinAl and Sowsage Sowsage duck posts I have been wanting to do this, found one at Aldi pretty much the same duck as most here.
d1.jpg

used Oak Ridge BBQ Santa Maria rub and added more pepper, thyme, rosemary and a full zest of an orange.
d2.jpg

Stuffed the cavity with red onion and orange chunks
d3.jpg

Pathetic attempt at tying it off to keep everything inside. Also scored the skin to let the fat render out.
d4.jpg

sprayed it down with duck fat and rubbed it down, then into the fridge for 24 hours
d5.jpg

Skewered up and onto the grill for a 2-3 hour cold smoke with cherry and apple pellets. Got the idea from Sowsage Sowsage and since it was in the 20's today it was a pretty safe play.
d7.jpg

Smoke rolling almost time to apply some heat.
d8.jpg

Heat on at about low 300 deg maybe an hour into it.
d9.jpg

Now we started on the veges, would have loved to do them under the duck but there was not enough clearance. We used some baby potatoes, onions, carrots and butternut squash. In the Dutch oven they went with regular and smoked butter, bacon fat, nutmeg and rendered duck fat from the grill as available.
d10.jpg

Ducked pulled and resting
d11.jpg

Plated up, very juicy and great tasting. The wife went nuts over it. Next time I will make my own orange sauce and probably broil it off to burn and crisp it off in the oven.
d12.jpg

Beautiful man!! Duck is on my short list to do. You nailed it. Where did you get the duck fat spray?
Thanks coming from you that means a bunch!

I got it here when I bought a bunch of their rubs, but I have seen other people post about it so I am sure it is not the only place.

Reactions: jcam222
That looks fantastic!.. I like the choice of veg too! I love butternut squash! What temp did you take it to? I took mine a little too far when I did it. Yours looks a lot better.

jcam222 jcam222 . Jeff, check kroger. I know mine has it in jars and I'm thinking I did see it in a spray as well

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
You nailed that duck! It and the whole meal look delicious!
And jcam222 jcam222 if you ever order anything from Owen's BBQ I think they carry it.

Ryan

Reactions: clifish
That looks fantastic!.. I like the choice of veg too! I love butternut squash! What temp did you take it to? I took mine a little too far when I did it. Yours looks a lot better.

jcam222 jcam222 . Jeff, check kroger. I know mine has it in jars and I'm thinking I did see it in a spray as well
I think about 165, I actually would have liked it more well done but was hungry and it just kept getting colder outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky